We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information about Måløy to Oslo by public transport in 1978

Level Contributor
23 posts
Information about Måløy to Oslo by public transport in 1978
Save

Dear all,

I'm a French writer and for a novel I'm working on I'm looking for info about Måløy in 1978.

For instance, I'd like to know if there was a ferry to Stryn/Loen at that time.

In case there was none, how was it possible to reach Oslo back then? Was there a daily bus or was it necessary to go through Stryn and Otta for instance?

Moreover, would you have any idea on the price, the timetable and the itinerary of such voyages?

I hope you can answer me, though I know it's been a long time.

Anyhow, I wish you the best,

Michael

7 replies to this topic
Ekk
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
38 posts
1. Re: Information about Måløy to Oslo by public transport in 1978
Save

The road between Stryn and Otta is old, but original one was open only in summer. New road opened in 1977 and stays open in winter

https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riksvei_15

Before 1977 I guess many traveled by boat to Bergen then train to oslo

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
21 725 posts
108 reviews
79 helpful votes
2. Re: Information about Måløy to Oslo by public transport in 1978
Save

The boat from Måløy to Bergen would be Hurtigruten.

I dont think there was a ferry from Måløy to Stryn in 1978. The Måløy bridge was completed in 1973 and I guess from that point there was a road (and bus service) from Måløy to Stryn. Bus services in these areas are infrequent, perhaps 1-2 times/day.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
40 925 posts
38 reviews
36 helpful votes
3. Re: Information about Måløy to Oslo by public transport in 1978
Save

I used to work for Fylkesbaatane i Sogn og Fjordane (FSF) back in the early eighties, their main office were in Bergen. There were a lot of boats, both cargo and passenger and combined at that time between Bergen and the Sogn og Fjordane county, also to and from Måløy.

I would say that the most usual travel way to Oslo would be boat to Bergen and train to Oslo. Sometimes overnight in Bergen were needed, they often stayed at the hotel where I was working as a receptionist in the late seventies. The hotel is still going strong, now part of the Best Western chain.

Norway
Level Contributor
3 267 posts
20 reviews
14 helpful votes
4. Re: Information about Måløy to Oslo by public transport in 1978
Save

My mom is from this area (not Måløy itself, but nearby) and I traveled in this area as a child in the late sixties and early seventies, but we most often drove a car on the then narrow gravel roads.

Like the others I would assume that the most likely way to get from Måløy to Oslo would be by Hurtigruten to Bergen and then train. It might also have been possible to go by bus. There were probably local buses from Måløy that would make it possible to reach Stryn. After the new road over Strynefjell opened there may have been buses fom Stryn and across the mountains to Otta, and then train from there.

In older days, all the western fjord areas had numerous local boat routes for passengers and cargo, but it is my impression that most of these disappeared during the fities and maybe sixties, being replaced by new roads and shorter ferry crossings. I have no specific information for the Måløy area regarding this.

Level Contributor
23 posts
5. Re: Information about Måløy to Oslo by public transport in 1978
Save

Thank you all for taking the tile to answer me. It helps.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
21 725 posts
108 reviews
79 helpful votes
6. Re: Information about Måløy to Oslo by public transport in 1978
Save

Because of the difficult terrain there were few roads along fjords and lakes before WW2. Because of few cars there were few car ferries too, the first proper car ferries were introduced in 1930s. Long distance passenger boats along major fjords were common at least until the war (the so called fjord steamers or sea buses). After the war roads were built piece by piece depending on terrain, funding and technology, so it is difficult to tell exactly when there was a consecutive road.

Sognefjord and Nordfjord/Sunnfjord coast (until Mlåøy) are still served by fast passenger boats from Bergen.

Level Contributor
23 posts
7. Re: Information about Måløy to Oslo by public transport in 1978
Save

Thanks for the clarification.

Reply to: Information about Måløy to Oslo by public transport in 1978
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.