We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will we be able to travel to Norway from USA by Sept 2021

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
242 posts
63 reviews
42 helpful votes
will we be able to travel to Norway from USA by Sept 2021
Save

I know none of us can know for sure. But we are booked to go to Denmark and then to Bergen and travel from NY to Oslo in the first week of September. Wondering if we should change this trip (which was canceled from June of 2020) as it appears Norway is slow on opening (for safety reasons). We are both fully vaccinated. I read the news everyday and I am wondering if early September is unlikely and we should just cancel again.

8 replies to this topic
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
23 246 posts
41 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: will we be able to travel to Norway from USA by Sept 2021
Save

Currently looks like EU including Norway will open up for internal travel for fully vaccinated person with a secure Covid-19 certificate. The secure Covid-19 certificate is being rolled out throughout EU by 1st July.

The problem for visitors from outside EU will be proving your vaccination status - an easily forged piece of paper or document on your phone will not be adequate proof.

Is US implementing a secure certification system?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/22/covid-vaccine-passports-everything-we-know-so-far.html

Edited: 10 June 2021, 18:42
Klofta, Norway
Level Contributor
818 posts
9 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: will we be able to travel to Norway from USA by Sept 2021
Save

> The problem for visitors from outside EU will be proving your vaccination status

---

americans can already travel to some EU countries. Single countries decisions take over the statements of the EU Commission.

For instance France lets in residents from an "orange" zone, who carry a proof of vaccine accepted by EMA and a 72hrs PCR test. Americains among others.

Official gov page:

https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus/deplacements

Spain the same, I spare you the official link in spanish. Also Bulgaria, Greece, Kroatia, Kyprus,

there's no way french, spaniard and etc border police can check the authenticity of a vaccine certificate issued by 3rd party non-EU countries like USA, because theré's no centralized accessible database. But ... tourism $$$.

France is even lobbying the EU Commission and the EMA in order to get the chinese vaccine listed as "recognized" (vaccines are political of course and the chinese one is not "recognized" by EMA), so the huge hordes of chinese tourism can flow back into Paris.

EU Commissar Thierry Breton in charge of this keeps telling a unified EU policy for US travelers will require reciprocity from USA. Yes, well, good. BUT, single countries policies do override the EU-Commission, as the cases of France, Spain, etc, show...

Btw same for the internal EU vaccinepass: single countries can suspend the protocol by providing a reason (for instance epidemic surge).

> I read the news everyday and I am wondering if early September is unlikely and we should just cancel again.

sadly you can't do better, it's impossible to estimate odds.

until now, on the norwegian side, government was centered on the EU-vaccine protocol, and around Easter I guess stated they wanted it implemented end June. The decision to open border for bearers of a EU-vaccinepass is just fresh, ie. 3 weeks before the planned connection of Norway to others countries health registers.

the EU attitude towards americans is in limbo, ie. the attitude of the EU Commission, but as I have detailed, and you can see with France, Spain, Greece, Kroatia, ...,, countries do take precedence.

so who knows if norwegian government will stick to EU-Commission statement about a whole-EU reciprocity deal with USA, or they will go their own way and decide they open for americans

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
40 923 posts
38 reviews
36 helpful votes
3. Re: will we be able to travel to Norway from USA by Sept 2021
Save

The closest indication I have come across is the PM stating some time ago "not until the majority of the population has been vaccinated". If that is still the case, early September would be touch and go, given the fact that the vaccination programme will be delayed by two weeks due to vaccine delivery issues.

There is a press conference today, perhaps there will be a bit more info then.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
40 923 posts
38 reviews
36 helpful votes
4. Re: will we be able to travel to Norway from USA by Sept 2021
Save

The recent press conference indicated that the rules for non-EU visitors would be up for review in August.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
6 992 posts
14 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: will we be able to travel to Norway from USA by Sept 2021
Save

Since the change will happen in August we will probably get the information the last week of July...

Please follow and check the updates on the government page, https://www.regjeringen.no/en/topics/koronavirus-covid-19/id2692388/

And here do you've the European map, which will be updated every week, https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/situation-updates/weekly-maps-coordinated-restriction-free-movement?fbclid=IwAR3aro_40QINZfiT8aKGM94f0IlEIEl1maH1DWk_ngsi6lsBHjz_oLJcMhE

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
216 posts
45 reviews
58 helpful votes
6. Re: will we be able to travel to Norway from USA by Sept 2021
Save

my flight to Oslo through London is July 28- I am from USA and fully vaccinated- in your opinion- should i assume I will need to get off in London and not plan to make it to Oslo based on what you and other knows. Looking for comments from all?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
40 923 posts
38 reviews
36 helpful votes
7. Re: will we be able to travel to Norway from USA by Sept 2021
Save

According to the latest press conference, entry rules for visitors from non-EU countries are to be reviewed in August.

Falkirk District...
Level Contributor
1 792 posts
568 reviews
260 helpful votes
8. Re: will we be able to travel to Norway from USA by Sept 2021
Save

Re post 6 if you "get off in London" you will need to self isolate for 10 days and arrange Covid tests with firms recognized by entry system. Check UK Government website for full details regarding regulations. Heavy fines are imposed if you break regulations and there are phone and personal visit checks to check you are self isolating.

Reply to: will we be able to travel to Norway from USA by Sept 2021
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.