We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My itierary for Salzburg region. Suggestions please!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
131 posts
132 reviews
49 helpful votes
My itierary for Salzburg region. Suggestions please!
Save

We are a couple travelling to salzburg with our 1.5 year old child and are interested in nature and scenic routes. However, we are planning to arrive in salzburg on a train rather than car. After reading a few posts, I have thought of basing ourselves in St. Wolfgang and take day trips. I am not interested in the SOM tour and hence planning on skipping it.

Salzburg itinerary as follows:

Day 1: arrive mid morning or noon from vienna. Either visit Fortress Hohensalzburg or drive to St. Wolfgang.

Day 2: day trip to berchtesgaden

Day 3: Day trip to Hallstat

Few questions:

1) Can we do St; gilgen and wolfgangsee on the first day if we don't visit the fortress?

2) Any alternative place to visit in salzburg instead of going to berchtesgaden?

3) is St. wolfgang a good base for these day trips? or should i opt for fuschl or bad ischl?

4) is driving down from vienna to salzburg a better option as opposed to the train journey? ( we are not renting the car for the duration we are in vienna).

P.S: we are in austria during the first week of june

Thanks a lot!

Edited: 2 years ago
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
38 839 posts
95 reviews
71 helpful votes
1. Re: My itierary for Salzburg region. Suggestions please!
Save

salzburg will take you a day. wolfgangsee will take you a day, hallstatt will take you a day....so no time for berchtesgaden. other places to see would be bad ischl, gosausee, fuschlsee etc etc.

staying in st wolfgang complicates travel. stay in st gilgen (preferable) or strobl. you can visit st wolfgang from either of those using ferry.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
131 posts
132 reviews
49 helpful votes
2. Re: My itierary for Salzburg region. Suggestions please!
Save

Thanks for the response. I am thinking of skipping salzburg and visiting the towns around instead. Is fuschl a good option to stay instead of st. gilgen or wolfgang?

VA
Level Contributor
943 posts
5 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: My itierary for Salzburg region. Suggestions please!
Save

BGaden has lots to do & see: Salt Mine, Jenner Bahn, Koenigsee trip plus sites/hiking/strolliing near boats, town itself with small castle, Hofbrauhaus, & Kehlsteinhaus/Documentation Center. Suggest you skip it this time or plan more time there if interested

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
38 839 posts
95 reviews
71 helpful votes
4. Re: My itierary for Salzburg region. Suggestions please!
Save

fuschl is a lovely small village but has very little to do in it. staying in the likes of st gilgen gives you access to the wolfgangsee with st wolfgang (cog railway) strobl, and to the gondola lift in st gilgen. if you are not looking for things to do in the evenings, then fuschl is grand, but as your time is short, and to help you to enjoy yourself and see the most, then st gilgen would be the best

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
33 165 posts
27 reviews
167 helpful votes
5. Re: My itierary for Salzburg region. Suggestions please!
Save

Considering your rather short stay in the "Salzburg area" I would nonetheless base myself in Salzburg, because it is easier transport-wise, but also because it is a wonderful place to experience, and do day trips to Hallstatt and the Berchtesgaden area from there.

www.salzburg.info

And you do not need a rental car for that, since all these places can be reached easily by train or bus.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
131 posts
132 reviews
49 helpful votes
6. Re: My itierary for Salzburg region. Suggestions please!
Save

thank you all for the suggestions. I was considering to stay one night in hallstat after 3 nights in salzburg. however, the accomodations are more pricier than st. gilgen. if i do Hallstat as a day trip from salzburg region, and then move on to innsbruck the same day (spending 2 nights in innsbruck) is the drive doable? google maps however is directing me back via salzburg or berchtesgaden.

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
6 714 posts
84 reviews
63 helpful votes
7. Re: My itierary for Salzburg region. Suggestions please!
Save

Those are the two most direct routes but both take 3 hours. It would be a long day in the car for a toddlerf

8. Re: My itierary for Salzburg region. Suggestions please!

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2020, 06:41
Get answers to your questions about Salzburg Region
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.