We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April 2017 Trip

New Zealand
Level Contributor
100 posts
65 reviews
April 2017 Trip

Greeting I hope you can help me.

We are planning a visit to Odense for 2 night in late April 2017. Our main reason for this visit is to trace family history, My great grandfather was born in Sankt Hans Odense in 1852. AS he was a staunch Lutheran I was wondering if thee were any Lutheran Churches in this area that may have a parish records or a grave yard that that we could look at to source his family. Any other places in Odense we could look for ancestry records?

Thanks for any help in advance

4 replies to this topic
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1 609 posts
1. Re: April 2017 Trip

The Church registries (in Danish Kirkebøger) are all (I think) digitalized and can be found here: https:/…5

All churches except a few in Copenhagen were Lutheran at that time. So you should look for the church books from Sankt Hans Perish. There is a Sankt Hans (Saint John) Church in Central Odense.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
100 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: April 2017 Trip

Thank you for your help much appreciated, any other recommendations of things to see or do in odense, places to eat etc?

Level Contributor
60 posts
3. Re: April 2017 Trip

There is an old town in Odense. A kind of museum which shows the life in Denmark about 200 years ago. Ive been there as i used to live there. Its quite interessting. Also you can visit H. C. Andersens house. Its a short walk from the train station in Odense.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
100 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: April 2017 Trip

Hi Kristian_c_dk

I am going to be visiting in April as well and I was hoping you could recommend some things to see? Maybe tell me what streets show the real history of Odense??

Thanks a bunch

Edited: 05 March 2017, 22:39
Reply to: April 2017 Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Odense