We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Input on time allocated to different islands?

Los Osos, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Input on time allocated to different islands?

Hello. We will be going to Greece for 28 days starting early May, 2019 and have come up with the following itinerary. Flights are booked in and out of Athens already but nothing else. We are in our 60's, not interested in night life or clubs or spending all day at the beach, but do want to experience more of Greek life and culture, history, good food, scenic views, long walks, some swims in the sea, and just exploring new places. So....

1 night Athens (flight arrives late at night from California so will spend the night)

10 nights Crete, primarily western part. (Fly from Athens to Chania)

6 nights Naxos

4 nights Milos

4 nights Sifnos

3 nights Athens

I initially was going to do just 2 islands and more time in Crete but there were too many island choices and added Milos. Does this look like a good allocation of time. I wasn't sure if adding more to Sifnos instead of Milos might be worthwhile? Thanks for any input.

Edited: 18 November 2018, 22:02
6 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
483 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Input on time allocated to different islands?

I think your plan is a sensible one, and although the order is not geographically "correct", I think you would indeed have to go to Naxos from Crete, as there will be no direct ferries to Milos at this time of the year. I think you will only have the Artemis on a Friday from Naxos to Milos directly. However, you have 28 days, and considerable "wriggle room", and you will not really have to pre-book acommodation in early May.

London, United...
Level Contributor
483 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Input on time allocated to different islands?

Meaning that you can plan as you go to some extent, based on the ferry schedules.

Los Osos, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Input on time allocated to different islands?

Thanks very much. I keep second guessing myself on all the choices, like Naxos or Paros. I have been trying to nail down the lodging also fearing the nicest places will be booked up, but sounds like there is less urgency to do so in May. Thanks for ferry input also, I figured it was a little more complicated getting from Naxos to the more western islands. This will be our first time there so a lot to learn about. We will probably work with a Greek travel agency I have seen on these boards for some of it.

Los Osos, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Input on time allocated to different islands?

I meant to ask also, would it make more sense to go from Naxos to Milos, or to Sifnos first and then to Milos last before going back to Athens?

London, United...
Level Contributor
483 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Input on time allocated to different islands?

I don't think there will be a direct ferry from Naxos to Sifnos, and only 1 on a Friday from Naxos to Milos as I said above. By all means use an agency if you are not confident, but it is much more fun doing it yourself. Like I said, you have nearly a month, so it won't really matter if you do not adhere rigidly to any plan for a specific number of nights in any location. As long as you plan for the essential ferry links, which you can do when you are there, and you make Athens in plenty of time (which you plan to do anyway) then you will be ok. Similarly, you can get accommodation on arrival, or just arrange it a couple of days in advance from the previous island.

Los Osos, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Input on time allocated to different islands?

Thank you again Getmetothegreek for the input and encouragement. It is really the ferries I am mostly not confident about and the area I would need the most help with. I am having fun for sure researching all the lodging and other things but having a contact person there for parts of it would make it more enjoyable (less stressful). I appreciate your time and have some helpful information to consider now.

Edited: 21 November 2018, 03:21
Reply to: Input on time allocated to different islands?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted