We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chania town

Chania town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2018, 13:00

3 replies to this topic
uk
Level Contributor
252 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chania town

Hi

For us a few days was enough, we always have a trip into Chania when we stay on Crete and staying in the old town two nights was plenty for us .( we did just have a room though ) . although I'd imagine if you stayed just outside in a place with a few more facilities than we had you may want to stay longer ..

Mentioned in this post
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5 305 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chania town

Chania old town is delightful. Its full of tiny back alleys with 4 and 500 year old buildings. The harbour and old town area will take you a couple of days just to figure out where everything is. Evening activities are centered at the Venetian harbour which is lined by tavernas and bars, Nothing rowdy though.

Chania is also a good base for day trips. The famous Samaria gorge hike is a favourite (for people who can hike downhill for 16 km) There is an excursion boat from Kissamos to Gramovossa island to visit a pirate fortress and also the Balos Lagoon beach. Ancient Aptera is a wonderful ancient site with over 5,000 years of history scattered on a mountain top.

You can easily do a day trip to Rethymnon to visit the Fortezza or take the bus south to the Lybian Sea to visit Elafonissi beach or a tiny village like Sougia for a day of beaching and a bit of hiking.

Depending on what interests you it would be possible to stay in Chania for a week to do some of the day trips.

Western Crete flickr.com/photos/…

Aptera images 38-62 Balos Gramovossa images 79-106

Chania flickr.com/photos/…

Theotokopoulou St area flickr.com/photos/…

Mentioned in this post
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Venetian Harbour
Venetian Harbour
1 294 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Kissamos
Kissamos
Crete, Greece
Balos Lagoon
Balos Lagoon
7 108 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Ancient Aptera
Ancient Aptera
569 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Elafonissi  Beach
Elafonissi Beach
9 783 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5 131 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chania town

Hi,

I would (and have) stayed quite happily in the old town for a week. I guess it depends what you want out of a base in which to stay. I like the mornings and a coffee/leisurely in a shady square, going out of the town elsewhere by day, and the town and harbour lit at night and with a pleasant evening buzz. I like the character of the back streets for a wander, and also there are plenty of little shops for a nosey, if the mood takes you. No shortage of choices of places to eat al fresco, or pit-stop to sip a chilled drink. The evenings are a nice mix of local people and international visitors, and I like the fact that it's not a "resort". It can get very busy July/August, but May is a nice, out-of-peak season time to visit.

As stanbr points out, it is a great base from which to get out and about in the day, either on organised trips, getting on the bus or if you hire a car.

Reply to: Chania town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chania Town