I will be traveling to Lisbon from Nov 15 – 18 with my husband. Arriving Nov 15 via train from porto, will be going back to port by train on Nov 18 (haven’t booked ticket yet, but likely taking a 2pm of 4 pm train back). This is our first time in Lisbon and although time is a bit tight want to make sure that we can make efficient use of our time. We will be staying in the Chiado area.
We are in our 30s and enjoy exploring neighborhoods, local culture, historical sites, restaurants and bars, quaint shops etc. I personally love museums but felt that it’s best not to go to any given our limited schedule. Would like to also checkout some of the street art by Bordalo II.
Mon Nov 15
- Arrive Lisbon 12:30pm
- Take walking tour of Lisbon with sandman or take tours (starts at 2:30 – 3pm) which covers chaido / baxia area
- Explore Bairro Alto area, Cais do Sodre, Timeout Market in the evening (neither of us are interested in clubbing, more interested in exploring areas, good food and drinks)
Tues Nov 16
- Explore Alfama in the later afternoon/evening (take tram 28, go to Castelo de Sao Jorge and then wander the streets down)
- Have a nice dinner and watch a Fado show
Wed Nov 17
- Sintra day trip (I think we’ll be spending the whole day in Sintra given the number of sites to see plan on going to Pena Palace, Castle of the Moors, Quinta da Regaleira and if there is time Sintra National Palace)
Thurs Nov 18
- Spending morning in any area we feel we want to go back to
- Afternoon train back to porto
Would appreciate some feedback and guidance on our itinerary. I’m a bit concerned if trying to do Belem and Alfama in one day will be too much. But thought that trying to do Alfama on our first day after our walking tour wouldn’t give us enough time to enjoy the area. Thoughts?
Also have a few questions:
1. Is the Torre de Belem current open? I’ve seen conflicting information on different sites, I contacted the site but haven’t heard back yet
2. By the description I want to go inside and explore Mosteiro dos Jeronimos but not sure if it’s worth going into the Torre de Belem, heard that the line ups are very long and not much to see inside…thoughts?
3. Would appreciate recommendations for good places to watch Fado show (is Alfarama area best or another district better?). Know this can be very subjective, but it will be our first time experiencing it and would like an authentic experience.
4. Any particular sites in Alfama that’s a must visit?
5. How long should we spend at Castelo de Sao Jorge?
6. Would appreciate any restaurant / bar recommendations? Doesn’t have to be fine dining, authentic food is what we try to go for with 1 or 2 nicer restaurants for the trip :)
7. Any other areas/sites that we are missing?
Appreciate any help and feedback.