We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What places to see.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
42 reviews
24 helpful votes
What places to see.
Save

Hello, we have just booked a time share week at the Port Owen Marina end of April 2016. We will have a hire car, so I am wondering what day trips we can do around this area. We do plan on driving to Cape Town plus after our week, we are driving the garden route. Has anybody stayed at this resort, it looks nice.

5 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
906 posts
24 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: What places to see.
Save

We sometimes stay at Kersefontein Guest Farm which is about 17k from Veldrif and if necessary go to Paternoster or Langebaan to spend time during our stay, which are the only nearby choices. However we usually just relax on the farm as there is plenty to do. Both places are approx 3/4's drive away. For this year's visti I have just been doing some research into what we might do in Veldrif and to be honest there is not a lot. Port Owen Marina is quite small and residential with mostly holiday appartments and (I think) one small cafe.. So your options as well are to go to Paternoster or Langebaan for day trips. The nearest places to visit after that are Riebeek Kasteel and Tulbagh, both interesting villages to walk around, in beautiful settings and vineyards to visit. They are about 1 1/2 hours plus drive time to get there.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3 931 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: What places to see.
Save

Quite frankly, Veldrif is one of those places that has never grabbed me and I wouldn't consider staying a week there. We do drive in that area quite a lot and enjoy the isolation and peacefulness. The fishing villages, people and practices are interesting for us, since I was in that industry many years ago.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
7 824 posts
612 reviews
296 helpful votes
3. Re: What places to see.
Save

Don't forget the Fossil Park near Hopefield. Fascinating and I believe it's just had a big facelift.

The flamingoes are always impressive at Veldriff

West Coast National Park in Langebaan is a day's outing

If you are into birding there are trips up the Berg River from Veldriff and the small fishing museum whiles away an hour

Oep ve Koep is a great lunch spot in Paternoster, but he's not always open at the beginning of the week

Also the fish "restaurant" on the beach at Lamberts Bay, can't remember it's name

So plenty to keep you occupied

Lisa

Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: What places to see.
Save

We live here, and we are out most weekends. I suggest a few options: Take a drive through/to St Helena Bay and take a walk around the harbour (R5 entrance), check out Paternoster, Saldanha and Langebaan. There is plenty to see and do. You can go North to Elands Bay and Lambert's Bay. I also suggest looking inland for a spot of wine tasting. Trip Advisor will help!

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
5. Re: What places to see.
Save

If you are looking for some things to do in Veldrif I can recommend checking out 'Bokkomlaan' which is the lane where bokkoms are made (dried fish sort of like fish biltong)

There are also a few shops/cafe's on this lane you can visit. For really good seafood check out Die Vishuis restaurant on Bokkomlaan.

Otherwise take a drive out to Paternoster or Elands Bay for a change in scenery!

Reply to: What places to see.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Velddrif
Recent Conversations
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.