We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verona

5 posts
Verona

First time arriving by train from Venice . Firts time of all Venice, trains in Europe mu question is: when arriving at the train station to see Verona and at least the Julieta castle is if far? Do i need to rent an Uber o taxi?

Appreciate any info. Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33 934 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Verona

Trains Venice to Verona www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

20 minute walk from the station to "Juliets House"

Or take the bus to San Fermo church or Ponti Navi

www.tourism.verona.it/en

Note that the house is fake, just to add interest for visitors to Verona

CA
Level Contributor
11 460 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Verona

"Juliet's Balcony" was added to the building in 1934 by the government to encourage tourism.

Verona, Italy
Destination Expert
for Verona
Level Contributor
1 715 posts
1 review
3. Re: Verona

2,1 Kms and 27 minutes according to google maps

https://www.google.it/maps/dir/Verona+Porta+Nuova,+Piazzale+XXV+Aprile,+37138+Verona+VR/Casa+di+Giulietta,+Via+Cappello,+37121+Verona,+VR/@45.4356569,10.9816122,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x477f5f664a2f09fd:0x558f7661f12a33b9!2m2!1d10.9824853!2d45.4290314!1m5!1m1!1s0x477f5f49accf88dd:0xb4a2e6793382ceb!2m2!1d10.9984057!2d45.4419186!3e2

Play with the options to have a solution by bus

BTW:

1) the balcony was added: yes

2) the house is fake? Obviously, there is no "history" for the Shakespeare's legend. But on the arch at the entrance there was (nearly ruined now) a hat, "cappello", obvious symbol of the Cappelletti ("small hats") (Capulets) family, how they were called by the italian Poet Dante in 1300s'. Dante was actually in Verona for years. So the house may not be so "fake" as many claim without knowing the history

ciao

Francesco

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33 934 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Verona

Effeti thanks for the info, interesting to know,

I was referring to the Balcony Scene " Romeo where art thou Romeo" , and the size of the balcony Juliet and Romeo would never had fitted on it !

Verona, Italy
Destination Expert
for Verona
Level Contributor
1 715 posts
1 review
5. Re: Verona

Sure, I got that. And the balcony is an original of the time of Julie's legend, but taken from another house and placed there a century ago.

But no one can think Shakespeare is a literal report of a story. Just a legend, with some seeds of truth (How many… impossible to say)

But that is the greatness of a poet, isn't it?

Meanwhile, i found a picture (no time to go there) of the hat on the internal arch, that was not lost like the one facing the streeet.

https:/…Casa_Giulietta_stemma_cappello.jpg

Ciao

Francesco

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98 723 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Verona

>>And the balcony is an original of the time of Julie's legend, but taken from another house and placed there a century ago<<

I thought it was built in the 1930s as a tourist attraction?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
9 070 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Verona

<<I thought it was built in the 1930s as a tourist attraction?>>

I think the balcony was added in the 1930s or thereabouts but I remember being told it was actually part of an ancient sarcophagus.

The house itself is a fine example of a medieval house and is worth visiting with or without the Romeo and Juliet connection.

The strange thing is that everyone knows about 'the' balcony, but Shakespeare never mentioned a balcony. In the play, Juliet appears at a window.

Reply to: Verona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Verona