We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Ticket Validation

London
Level Contributor
93 posts
23 reviews
30 helpful votes
Bus Ticket Validation
Save

Having read the previous thread about bus inspectors in Bologna and fines imposed for incorrectly validated tickets could someone please clarify:

If using an urban ticket valid for 75 minutes and changing buses does the ticket have to be validated on each bus or just at the start of the journey? How does it work with a 10 trip ticket? When validating the ticket on the bus how do you tell if it's worked?

I was quite looking forward to our trip to Bologna and using the city buses to get around but I'm now thinking using taxis may be a cheaper option!

Many thanks

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: Bus Ticket Validation
Save

No, you just have to validate it at the beginning of your trip, and then it's good for 75 minutes. You can change buses etc within those 75 minutes.

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
1 446 posts
172 reviews
168 helpful votes
2. Re: Bus Ticket Validation
Save

Rules have recently (not so recently actually) changed you should validate at every bus change.

That does not mean you loose rides in 10rides ticket, other validations after the 1st within 75 min are printed but with a C meaning changes so they are different and not to be counted.

A part from that if you do the 1st validation they should just tell you something if you don't validate anymore but you shouldn't be fined for that.

My personal opinion: it's stupid system.

London
Level Contributor
93 posts
23 reviews
30 helpful votes
3. Re: Bus Ticket Validation
Save

Thanks for explaining - that's really helpful.

We'll try hard to put the ticket in the machine the correct way up and hopefully won't get fined!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
7 helpful votes
4. Re: Bus Ticket Validation
Save

Oh wow, thank you Sylvia for the clarification, had no idea!

1 post
5. Re: Bus Ticket Validation
Save

Hi, I am about to visit Bologna, so just to be sure I have one question. :) The rules about using one 75min ticket in more than one bus is still okey and valid, and do I validate it only in firt bus or in every bus I use? Thank you for answer :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
110 093 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
6. Re: Bus Ticket Validation
Save

See reply #2.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
28 helpful votes
7. Re: Bus Ticket Validation
Save

Validate when you get in if you have your ticket. Otherwise buy from the driver and then validate.

Watch out for pickpockets on the buses. They listen for non Italian and watch to see if you know what to do.

I had my purse stolen and I am very well travelled and alert. Very quick and work in teams. Looking back I can see it unfolding

Move to the middle of the bus and take a seat if possible every time.

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
1 446 posts
172 reviews
168 helpful votes
8. Re: Bus Ticket Validation
Save

Drivers don't sell tickets on buses, there are automatic machines, when they work, better to buy your ticket before.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
28 helpful votes
9. Re: Bus Ticket Validation
Save

Yes you are correct. Confused the city. Little machine just inside

1 post
1 review
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Bus Ticket Validation
Save

Hi everyone, I've got another problem with public transport. My friend and I bought a ticket for 10 rides so we can both use one ticket. We tried to validated in the bus, but the machine didn't want to validate it. The driver couldn't help us and I don't want to spend money on another tickets. Can somebody help us?

Get answers to your questions about Bologna
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.