We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been to Rome...help!

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
154 reviews
126 helpful votes
Never been to Rome...help!
Save

Hi I'm quite well travelled but never been to Italy. I've booked Rome for January and need some help. We aren't massive art lovers but don't mind a museum. We love walking and eating and drinking with people watching and a bit of shopping thrown in. We are there all day Thursday, Friday and Saturday. All you expert's what would you do for the best experience?

16 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
9 291 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Never been to Rome...help!
Save

You may want to review the travel guides section of the website to see if anything piques your interest. There are a few of them titled "Rome in 3 days"

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel_Guide-g187791-Rome_Lazio.html

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
14 614 posts
904 reviews
1 408 helpful votes
2. Re: Never been to Rome...help!
Save

This may also give you some ideas: https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy/rome-itinerary

Obviously, your plans should focus on your own interests. Maybe hit only one museum and have more time for wandering Trastevere, Monti, Spanish Steps/Trevi, and some of the other fun areas for exploring, window shopping, and people watching.

Three days is actually very, very little time to see Rome. You will need to make some tough choices as to a few things that you really want to see and do. In January the shorter days also mean less time for sight-seeing.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
15 777 posts
133 reviews
82 helpful votes
3. Re: Never been to Rome...help!
Save

A good travel guide book is what you need. One like Lonely Planet which has recommendations for 1, 2, 3 or more days that you should consider.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 608 posts
226 reviews
163 helpful votes
4. Re: Never been to Rome...help!
Save

I second Lonely Planet's Guide to Rome

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
73 970 posts
180 reviews
183 helpful votes
5. Re: Never been to Rome...help!
Save

To get yourself started, a Top 10 book often helps you compartmentalize your interests and what to experience. Come up with a short "must" list for yourself. Then get a guidebook that works for you. For quick attractions reference, I like the Michelin Green Guide. For more in-depth information, I like Fodor's and Rough Guides better than Lonely Planet.

But it's your choice when it comes to guidebooks. You must like their layout and the way the information is presented.

Kinsale, Ireland
Level Contributor
733 posts
6. Re: Never been to Rome...help!
Save

All excellent suggestions above. We were in Rome for a week a month ago and loved every moment of our stay. Please read my trip report.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
2 013 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Never been to Rome...help!
Save

While it is true that you can’t see „all of Rome“ in 3 days, you couldn’t do that in 2 weeks either, so don’t worry about that. You gotta start somewhere. What’s important is that you pick something that is interesting to you and your travel companion(s). Use an overview site like the Attractions section on Tripadvisor or Culture Trip to find a few things that appeal to you: https://theculturetrip.com/europe/italy/rome/

No need to fill your time up to the brim, if you enjoy a more leisurely pace anyway. It’s not the worst idea in Rome to just allott time to stroll through the city – and visit churches that you pass by and find interesting. There are masterpieces of art in the churches of Rome that would be the crown jewels of museums. And you can see them for free and in their natural surroundings. Also, Rome is full of hidden gems that aren’t necessarily what most people imagine Rome is. For example, the Quartiere Coppedè.

One last note: As I have been to the Vatican Museums in August and in January, I can highly recommend to take the chance to see this famous museum without being engulfed in a constant stream of visitors.

Accettura, Italy
Level Contributor
485 posts
31 reviews
9 helpful votes
8. Re: Never been to Rome...help!
Save

Yes, pop into your local branch of Waterstone's and spend a bit of time browsing the 'Travel Books' section.

My first time in Rome that is exactly what I did - you can then plan a few things that you want to see and, when you stumble across something while just wandering around, the book will be able to tell you what you are looking at.

The Roma Pass is a good idea, as long as you are organised enough to take full advantage of it.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
154 reviews
126 helpful votes
9. Re: Never been to Rome...help!
Save

Ooh wonderful I will read that now. Thank you 😊

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: Never been to Rome...help!
Save

Make sure you squeeze in an evening for Trastevere! We left it until our last night and I was raging I didn’t go there earlier. So many pubs and restaurants that are hopping and a fab atmosphere no matter what the weather.

Reply to: Never been to Rome...help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.