We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Procida is "italy's capital of culture" for 2022

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
7 683 posts
1 331 reviews
1 066 helpful votes
Procida is "italy's capital of culture" for 2022
Save

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/31/the-little-island-of-procida-prepares-to-shine-as-italys-capital-of-culture

3 replies to this topic
New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
2 835 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Procida is "italy's capital of culture" for 2022
Save

We can offer two opposing arguments for dealing with this declaration. There might be good reason to support your declaration. Imagination will be needed as well as some lessons in geography with its location on the west side of the Bay of Naples. Craters have been in a good position for more than admiration. Procida is a small town on the north side of the island so with attention to Ischia and extending inland for making the visit to the town of Procida valuable. While it remains a major attraction, there is no reason to place it in the same category as many places found on the mainland. See certain physical points of the landscape. Monte Epomeno and Sant' Angelo and Spiaggia di Citarra. Santa Maria Margherita church can be seen. You are dealing with prominent features of Italy geography. Whether this location will take time away from places that might rival Procida for attention remains a question to be answered among many different categories of visitors. We are inclined to turn away from the isolation of this location after a necessary visit to Capri in large part because the rocky volcanic landscape does not appeal to us that much. We are sure that Ischia deserves as much adulation as might be ascribed to the island. Naples by itself might certainly deserve as much attention. Ischia for sure will bring us to the areas of Capri but not with the unlimited admiration for this volcanic landscape. We are not sure about reacting to your declaration with total agreement or total disagreement in large part because our preferences might take us in a different direction for various reasons as we are not as easily mesmerized or bedazzled with this type of holistic landscape. that brings visitors to Capri. We are not saying that your declaration is incorrect. Our inclinations for travel have different priorities in Italy and maybe leave Ischia for another segment of the itinerary. There are good reasons to bring us there with somewhat different ambitions.as described below. When many things are evaluated there is more chance to agree with the bulk of your declaration. Yes there are compelling reasons to keep us moving in the direction as you propose.

An opposite set of opinions might serve as an argument to bring visitors to Ischia and keep them there. We like to visit the archeological museum di Pithecusae and Lacco Ameno as a compelling reason to take the excursions to Procida. Casamcciola Terme might be another reason. Ischia has something to keep us busy for a single visit but not necessarily for a series of two second visits other things being equal for both time allocation and costs.. Safety might not take a back seat for getting there with few things to worry about as the pandemic still might present problems with crowds of visitors whose health condition is not known. Now an important component is using time wisely for organizing your visit. Many people might say that a few hours might be needed for doing justice for visiting Ischia with an excursion to Procida. The excursion might extend the duration of your visit there. This is not a one hour long rapid visit for beginning a hop[ skip and a jump style of a rapid fast moving visit to the island and for getting back soon following the excursion to Procida. For us the visit to the archeological museum might be compelling reason enough to go there.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
13 243 posts
12 reviews
26 helpful votes
2. Re: Procida is "italy's capital of culture" for 2022
Save

“There is a risk that the island could change, but it’s also true that for centuries it’s had a strong maritime identity … it’s difficult to imagine that this would suddenly be turned upside down by the fame,”

I read the article yesterday and found the last sentence especially interesting. Hope he's right.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1 802 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Procida is "italy's capital of culture" for 2022
Save

Nice one. I visited in 2014 on a Sunday and everything was closed, so I found my visit a bit dull. After exhausting my feet, I just settled on a bench with a nice sea view and did some reading. However, I’d be curious to see what the island can offer for the year that it is in the spotlight. And with 2022 there’s a real chance I might be passing through the region as well.

Reply to: Procida is "italy's capital of culture" for 2022
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Procida
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.