We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving on Procida

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 025 posts
111 reviews
118 helpful votes
Driving on Procida
Save

Are tourists allowed to take cars to this island? Thanks.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
34 030 posts
16 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving on Procida
Save

The roads are very narrow on Procida, making it a hinderance driving, especially with local traffic.

Should you be driving a rental vehicle, insurance does not cover the car on ferries, any damage is the renters financial responsibilty

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9 946 posts
173 reviews
195 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving on Procida
Save

You don't need a car on Procida. It's so small you could walk from one end to the other. It also has a bus service that is adequate.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 025 posts
111 reviews
118 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving on Procida
Save

Thanks, is driving actually prohibited if you're a tourist??

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
22 373 posts
49 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: Driving on Procida
Save

Driving is not prohibited for tourists and there is at least one rental agency on the island (General Rental, right near the port).

Edited: 3 years ago
Level Contributor
3 690 posts
101 reviews
82 helpful votes
5. Re: Driving on Procida
Save

I was shocked at how narrow the roads are on Procida. I think driving would be stressful. We did not have much of a game plan when we took the ferry over to Procida last summer. We went to the tourist office right near the ferry dock and they suggested we hire a cab driver for a few hours to take us around. I was skeptical but it ended up being a fabulous day! The driver spoke limited English but we had fun trying to communicate with him. He took us to all the highlights and dropped us in the port of Corrichella for lunch and then came back for us and took us back to the ferry. I forget the exact cost but it was 75E at most for about 4 hours.

8 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Driving on Procida
Save

I have now been told it is allowed for tourists to drive but ONLY if you hire the car ON Procida. But if you bring the hire car from Naples on the ferry it is not allowed to drive it - you must leave it in the car park.

So of course the car hire company on Procida charges a rip off high price.

Can you tell me if this is correct, that you can drive but ONLY if you hire the car on Procida - in which case it is pointless to take a car on the ferry from Naples!

Elstravels - please can you confirm if this is correct as you are the expert for this area?! Thank you.

7. Re: Driving on Procida

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 May 2018, 19:32
Ashby de la Zouch...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: Driving on Procida
Save

Don't drive. We've just been for three days. We already had a hire car and came from Ischia which was bad enough! We are used to driving in Italy having driven the whole length of the country and are no strangers to Amalfi driving. No issues with the car we had when we came off the ferry but it isn't worth it. We escaped by the skin of our teeth, literally. One more centimetre either side of the car would have seen us paying for damage repair. You can walk, bus and taxi. It's a tiny island. We went in January so it is out of season. I couldn't imagine what it would be like in peak season. Take the advice and don't drive here. You will enjoy the experience more.

9. Re: Driving on Procida

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2020, 15:40
Get answers to your questions about Procida
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.