We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camino de Santiago self-guided walk - Stage 1

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Camino de Santiago self-guided walk - Stage 1

Just starting to do research for a self-guided walk beginning in France and crossing over into Spain. Two women in 50's who would like to do a self-guided work but work with a company that will provide accommodation bookings and luggage transfers. Will have 7 to 10 days, but not enough time to do the full walk and would like to start in France, staying in mid-range accommodations (not hostels, but don't need the fancy hotels. The two of us will share a room and would like en-suite bathrooms). Any recommendations for tour groups that offer these services for a self-guided walk? Looking to do the trip late April/early May.

8 replies to this topic
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6 849 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Camino de Santiago self-guided walk - Stage 1

Please read the link highlighted on this image.

https:/…www.tripadvisor.com

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8 455 posts
401 reviews
2. Re: Camino de Santiago self-guided walk - Stage 1

In 7 to 10 days you cannot start from France and go to Compostela.

Personally I'd recommend you the last 7 to 10 days on the less crowded and arguably more beautiful Camino Norte (or Camino Primitivo) starting in Oviedo or anyway in the Asturias (which has an airport).

Good season for that (but it is a rainy area).

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
3. Re: Camino de Santiago self-guided walk - Stage 1

Yes, thank-you. I did read this first. We are not interested in doing the full walk, as we do not have the time. We want to walk only the first part of the French Way - starting in France , maybe ending in Pamplona. We are looking for a company who provides assistance to those wanting to walk on their own but would like help with booking accommodations and luggage transfers, as well as provide suggested itineraries. I have found some on-line such as Camino Ways, Mac Adventures and Walks in Spain. While I see many good reviews for Walks in Spain, I contacted them and they don't provide these services for those beginning the walk in France. I'm having difficulty finding reviews on the other companies and was wondering if there are any on Trip Advisor. If there are, I have missed them and am asking if there is anyone who can provide me some assistance as to where to find them.

Hayward, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Camino de Santiago self-guided walk - Stage 1

Hi,

I am also doing similar research & found this website after reading a blog who used their services.

Here is the website: https:/…self-guided-camino-de-santiago

& here is the website of the blog I read: https:/….

Hope you would find this helpful.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18 305 posts
122 reviews
5. Re: Camino de Santiago self-guided walk - Stage 1

I suspect that the reason you aren't finding much information is because what you are planning isn't very common. Most people with only a week or 10 days to walk start close to Santiago and do the last portion of the Camino Frances, so the travel companies that support pilgrims for short Caminos are focused more on the last 100-150 km or so. There are people who do walk the Camino in stages though - starting in SJPdP and walking as far as they can one year, and then coming back a next year to pick up where they left off, etc. - so when you get to SJPdP, you will find people who, like you are only planning to walk 7-10 days, but based on my experience, it seems that most of those pilgrims are DIY and just work it out as they go along.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
6. Re: Camino de Santiago self-guided walk - Stage 1

Thank-you Vivien and November Moon.

Edited: 29 September 2018, 22:58
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
94 reviews
7. Re: Camino de Santiago self-guided walk - Stage 1

Spinart2016== I have just been reading your request for information and all the replies. I am not able to give you any good information but would just like to wish you and your friend a Good Camino, when you do it next year. I really admire people who give it a go, whether in different stages or in one full attempt. I know quite a few people who go back each year and attempt a new stage each time. I think that is wonderful. I visited Compostela three years ago and made a resolution that I would eventually have a go at the Camino, maybe only a stage, but at least I would have tried! I hope that my personal circumstances will enable me to do that one day. I do hope you will share your experiences with us all when you go next year. God Bless you both.

Newry, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
117 reviews
8. Re: Camino de Santiago self-guided walk - Stage 1

You really don’t need to book with a tour company at all. There are plenty of mid range hotels or private albergue rooms available throughout that leg. All albergues have the pre paid envelopes to send on your bags

Reply to: Camino de Santiago self-guided walk - Stage 1
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santiago de Compostela