We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November 2021 bits and pieces from the south

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
4 467 posts
81 reviews
71 helpful votes
November 2021 bits and pieces from the south
Save

Arrived this afternoon, Jet2 flight busiest flight we have been on for a good 18 months, only about 35 empty seats, Las Palmas airport not to bad we were directed to e-gates for a passport check then to a booth for stamping of same, spth checked and scanned some people selected for random temperature checks. Then out into luggage claim to pick up a bag, not something we usually have but some Christmas item requests for friends made checked bag an easier option, seemed to take a while for bags to arrive but probably just my imagination, car picked up from Autoreisen then off down the road to Puerto Rico in just under an hour. 18:15 , 23c sat on terrace watching the last ferry from Puerto Mogan and one of the catamarans coming into dock as the sky darkens and the half moon rises for the night, so it will be a shower then off out for dinner Will add bits throughout our stay unfortunately our reports will not be nearly as eloquent as Pippi's who is currently reporting from her base a little further south in Puerto/Playa Mogan and puts us to same by writing so beautifully in what is not her native tongue

84 replies to this topic
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
21 277 posts
95 reviews
120 helpful votes
1. Re: November 2021 bits and pieces from the south
Save

Welcome back VE. All reports from GC, especially those referring to glorious sunshine and good food are especially welcome. They get the rest of us through the cold, dark winters.

Shrewsbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canary Islands, Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
16 397 posts
1 002 reviews
404 helpful votes
2. Re: November 2021 bits and pieces from the south
Save

VE, it is like you have never been away, I am very jealous, is this the third trip in recent months.

Have a great time. It is lovely having Pippi and you there at the same time, something to look forward to reading on the forums.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
10 399 posts
114 reviews
85 helpful votes
3. Re: November 2021 bits and pieces from the south
Save

Love it, now we will be reporting in stereo for a week! What more can the forum regulars ask for during one of the darkest months of the year at home?

I’m curious to hear what you think when you go to Amadores with regards to the crowds. It was packed on Wednesday, not a single sun bed was free and the also the rest of the beach was covered with people. A pride gathering was taking place at the beach club. I waited an hour for a seat at Bistro Salsa, which was worth it!

Level Contributor
54 posts
4. Re: November 2021 bits and pieces from the south
Save

#2 Hey, Nick. Don’t forget me! 😂

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
4 467 posts
81 reviews
71 helpful votes
5. Re: November 2021 bits and pieces from the south
Save

Nellee the more the merrier, think there are quite a few from the Gran Canaria forum visiting in November. It is nice to get lots of input as everybodies expectations and perceptions are slightly different and it gives a more rounded view of what's happening on the ground, so to speak how are you finding Puerto Rico ? Pippi Winter Pride always used to have a "tighty whitey" party at Amadores Beach Club that was maybe what was on on Wednesday, The sunbed situation sounds like it used to be around Christmas/New Year with the guys dashing around carrying beds over their heads trying to find spaces for groups/families to be together my arms ached just watching them Hoping to head to Amadores today so will catch up on the situation and "vibe" later

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
4 467 posts
81 reviews
71 helpful votes
6. Re: November 2021 bits and pieces from the south
Save

Friday evening 21c when we went out, it was so nice to see complexes and hotels that have been mothballed open and lit up There is certainly a buzz back in Puerto Rico lots more visitors about, real mix last night of English, Irish, Dutch and various Scandinavian voices , the choice of clothing was also very mixed from vest top, shorts and flip flops to long trousers, boots and Rab jackets and everything in between, we plumped for long sleeve lightweight top/shirt and long trousers and as we felt a slight breeze both took another layer "just in case" as your Mum would advise however it was not needed Headed down to the marina/harbour area for a couple of pre dinner drinks, Fusion Nube has reopened since our last visit, there was no problem getting a taxi off the rank just before 23:00 when we headed home Saturday 7:45 21.3c on the terrace pinky orange clouds have cleared and the sun is coming up over the east side of the valley it looks like being a gorgeous Autumn day

Vecindario, Spain
Level Contributor
1 878 posts
46 reviews
42 helpful votes
7. Re: November 2021 bits and pieces from the south
Save

Trip reports in triple, WOW. We've got Pip in PDM, VE in PR and Nell in PDI (I think?).

Brilliant

Cs

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
4 467 posts
81 reviews
71 helpful votes
8. Re: November 2021 bits and pieces from the south
Save

And our always helpful resident correspondent in Vecindario CS

Shrewsbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canary Islands, Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
16 397 posts
1 002 reviews
404 helpful votes
9. Re: November 2021 bits and pieces from the south
Save

Sorry Nellee, I forgot you, never too late to come to the party.

Just wish I was there too.

Level Contributor
54 posts
10. Re: November 2021 bits and pieces from the south
Save

No worries, Nick. We left very early for our 11. 30am flight from Glasgow in case there were any holdups due to COP 26. There were none. EasyJet let us check luggage in 3 hours before flight time. (TUI package.) The only disappointing thing about Glasgow Airport was that we couldn’t have our traditional airport breakfast of eggs benedict from Frankie and Bennie’s as they were not serving food in the morning due to a shortage of chefs. Otherwise it was a very relaxing journey with about 90 on the plane. We arrived at Las Palmas early and weren’t too long in the airport. I’ve detailed this more when I jumped on Pippi’s post. We are staying up near the Europa Centre inPuerto Rico, for the first time at Riu Vistamar. Beautiful view of Amadores beach from our balcony. The hotel is busy with a mixture of nationalities. We spent Tuesday and Wednesday relaxing. Warm but cloudy on Thursday so we took the opportunity to visit Mogan Mall. I was very impressed. I got my youngest granddaughter’s Christmas and birthday clothing presents organised from Mayoral. Very cute. The toys were purchased last month in case of shortages. 😂 Yesterday evening we went to the Barbacoa to watch the Scotland game and had a great time. This morning, we took a pleasant stroll down to Amadores beach. (After the killer hill walk from hotel reception.) How wonderful it was to walk along the beachfront again. It fairly lifted my spirits. Courtesy bus back up to the hotel as my old knees anlungs were screaming at me, ‘Don’t do it!’ 😂 I have climbed that hill before but I think those days are over for me. I hope that you enjoy your day on the beach, VE. I did listen out for a Dundonian accent. We’ll have one or two days there next week.

Edited: 13 November 2021, 15:03
Reply to: November 2021 bits and pieces from the south
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gran Canaria
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.