We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greifswald - getting around without a car

alberta
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
Greifswald - getting around without a car
Save

We're booked into the hotel mercure - I haven't been able to find any public transport so far - does anyone know how to get to the hotel from the station and also from the mercure to the theatre?

Also, are there any food shops near the hotel or bakeries because our budget is tight?

Thanks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
44 588 posts
1. Re: Greifswald - getting around without a car
Save

bus network Greifswald

http://www.sw-greifswald.com/verkehr/linienplan_05_2008.pdf

DB timetable

http://www.fahrinfo-berlin.de/Fahrinfo/bin/query.bin/en

allows you also to query for public transport to any address in Germany. Just select [Address] instead of [Station/Stop] and give the address of your hotel.

To: Greifswald, <street name> <house no.>

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
1 083 posts
14 reviews
13 helpful votes
2. Re: Greifswald - getting around without a car
Save

Hi,

the Hotel Mercure is not in the city centre. On their website it says: From the main train station, take bus no. 1 towards Neuer Friedhof and alight at Am Gorzberg.

Greifswald's city centre is pretty compact and you can walk around, from the train station to the Theatre it is about 20 minutes through the city centre.

A taxi from the train station to the hotel shouldn't cost you more than 10 - 15 Euro max. Once in the hotel, I am sure the staff can help you with public transport questions.

I don't know the area around the hotel but there are plenty of bakeries in the city centre, Greifswald has many students who keep them going ... Also, if you are looking for a nice restaurant with atmosphere and good traditional food, try the "Alter Fritz" on the market square, it is excellent. Even makes its own beer. There are other restaurants around the market square, one where you can eat like in the middle ages (with your hands only), a nice Italian and a fantastic wine shop where they also serve snacks. In many of the bakeries you can also eat light lunches at really reasonable prices.

If you have the time, take a bus out to the part of Greifswald called "Wieck", this is a really pretty fishing village with plenty of nice restaurants serving fresh fish dishes.

Any questions about Greifwald which aren't public transport related, happy to help. I used to live pretty close and studied in Greifswald for 5 years. It is a really pretty town, with hanseatic routes. I hope you enjoy your stay.

G

alberta
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Greifswald - getting around without a car
Save

Hi "G"

Thank you so much for your help. It's for my daughter who is travelling around Europe auditioning for the ballet companies there. She doesn't have a computer - to keep luggage weight down - and I'm in Canada so I get to do all the research on hotels/trains/buses/food/anything else (and pay the bills). So between us, we are getting around Europe even if only vicariously on my part!

You are very kind. Greifswald looks lovely from the photos - wish I were there too.

Regards and thanks again

Bridgett

alberta
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Greifswald - getting around without a car
Save

Hi abalada

The top link worked perfectly - and I have passed it on to my daughter. I had a bit of trouble with the bottom link as it wouldn't recognise the hotel address but I'll be able to use it for her next destination. It is a brilliant idea.

Thanks for your help and regards

B

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
44 588 posts
5. Re: Greifswald - getting around without a car
Save

For Hotel Mercure either to the station Greifwald-Süd or to the bus stop "Am Gorzberg".

The DB timetable has indeed problems with the hotel address and esp. does not know about this bus stop.

alberta
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Greifswald - getting around without a car
Save

Thank you everyone for your help - our daughter is really enjoying Greifswald and it's a good hotel. The buses are a bit infrequent but regular.

B

7. Re: Greifswald - getting around without a car

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Greifswald
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.