We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring Tour

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Ring Tour

I will be on a Rhine cruise in April 2019 and would like to do the Ring Tour when we stop at Ruedesheim. I believe the tour can be done in either direction. Is there any difference in the time it takes to complete the tour in either direction? Is one way better than the other?

8 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11 462 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Ring Tour

Either way it is an enjoyable tour. How to start may depend on the departure time of the next boat to Assmannshausen. If convenient you could start with the trip to Assmannshausen and work your way to back to RÜD.

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2. Re: Ring Tour

Thanks Oli. Since my first enquiry I have been checking out the train service between Assmannshausen and Ruedesheim. It looks as if there is at least one train every hour which takes about 3 minutes. If I go up to the Germania Monument from Ruedesheim then down to Assmannshausen, by cable car and chairlift, then catch a train back to Ruedesheim, do you know how much that would cost me in euros?

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11 462 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Ring Tour

2,05€ pp.

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4. Re: Ring Tour

Thanks again Oli. At the risk of being pedantic, is it feasible to walk from Assmannhausen back to Ruedeheim? If so, is it a pleasant walk and how long would it take?

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11 462 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: Ring Tour

The classic walking route on the Ring Tour goes from the upper end of Assmannshausen's chair lift to Niederwald monument high above Rüdesheim (or vice versa). That makes for a very pleasant walk through the woods (actually a 200 years old park) with several detours to view points possible. 1-2 hours.

A bit more difficult is the hiking trail through the vineyards without taking the chair lift to the plateau. One has to find the path at the end of Bohrenweg or Neuer Weg at the edge of Assmannshausen and many people end up next to the train tracks instead.

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
6. Re: Ring Tour

Thanks Oli. That's useful information but what I actually meant was, walking from Assmannshausen back to Rudesheim beside the river (or train track) as opposed to catching a train or boat back.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11 462 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: Ring Tour

No, there is no walking path along the river or the road between Assmannshausen and Rüdesheim. And it is not advisable to try to walk next to the railway tracks as they are extremely busy with freight and passenger trains. That's why I mentioned the trail through the vineyards as an alternative.

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
8. Re: Ring Tour

OK Oli. Many thanks for all your information. I'm sure we will enjoy the Ring Tour whatever way we choose to do it.

Reply to: Ring Tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ruedesheim am Rhein