We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best language school in Germany

Helsinki, Finland
1 post
Save Topic
Best language school in Germany

I am going to 4 weeks languagecourse in Germany, but I don't know what would be good. Maybe GSL in Berlin, or DID deutsch institut, or F+U language school. Can somebody recommend something? Maybe in berlin, or somewhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
43 replies to this topic
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21 421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best language school in Germany

Goethe Institut is the one that operates internationally and has facilities in Berlin obviously (and probably in Helsinki also?)

Maybe you could look on toytowngermany.com for recommendations too. That's a site for expats living in Germany and also visited by people planning to move to Germany

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Germany
Germany
Europe
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6 220 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best language school in Germany

The Hartnackschule has a good reputation as well. When I took a night class a few years ago, my teacher had actually learned German there.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6 214 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best language school in Germany

The Goethe Institut is the best. they have schools all over Germany, flexible courses of varying lengths and courses suited to individuals needs, for instance, business German, German for youth etc. They also have different facilities for staying there like dorms etc.

Jo

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best language school in Germany

The Goethe institut must be good, as I have heard.

I have attended some classes some time ago in GLS and it was good, and the program I did was intensive courses for 2 weeks, but it was very expensive and I don’t feel that in this time I could learn so quickly the language.

This moment I am attending classes with some friends to Deutschakademie (www.deutschakademie.de), and we are all satisfied. It’s a very professional school and very well organized. The intensive courses last for 4 weeks and with 3h every day and it costs only 205euro. They have also schools in Hamburg and Munich. Very friendly assistants and small group of people in a class. Far away from the crowded classes of VHS, that are the cheapest courses you can find. I haven’t attended in any other private school from these 2 (the VHS is public), but as I have searched, the prices in other schools are very high for a newcomer in Berlin and I don’t think that they can offer something more than Deutschakademie.

Mentioned in this post
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Dusseldorf, Germany
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best language school in Germany

Like above stated Goethe Institut is the best all over but still there are other foundational Institutions offering their best on these.From Normal to Intensiv Courses,varying with different timings of the day.

I would recommend if you too check on Volkshochschules around where you wish to take the language Course.

I wish you good luck.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best language school in Germany

Hello,

I would like to learn german but not a intensive course, Im planning to go to Berlin, is there anyone who can recommend a school which is not so expensive and good??

Manama
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best language school in Germany

Hi Ann,

My wife and I plan to send my son to learn intensive German this Summer. He is 16 and will be finishing his IGCSE O Level next month (May 2014). After his IB in the next two years (in Qatar), he would probably be studying in Germany. So his German learning will continue in next summers. My question to you, from your first hand experience, is whether this language centre including its boarding facilities are best for a teenager like my son. And amongst the its branches, in which city is the most conducive and safe for students at his age? I thank you in advance for your response.

Mentioned in this post
Qatar
Qatar
Middle East
Germany
Germany
Europe
Manama
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best language school in Germany

Hi Ann,

My wife and I plan to send my son to learn intensive German this Summer. He is 16 and will be finishing his IGCSE O Level next month (May 2014). After his IB in the next two years (in Qatar), he would probably be studying in Germany. So his German learning will continue in next summers. My question to you, from your first hand experience, is whether this language centre including its boarding facilities are best for a teenager like my son. And amongst the its branches, in which city is the most conducive and safe for students at his age? I thank you in advance for your response.

Edited: 05 April 2014, 14:06
Mentioned in this post
Qatar
Qatar
Middle East
Germany
Germany
Europe
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
59 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best language school in Germany

Forget those, they are ridiculously expensive. Take a look at the Volkshochschule for the area you want to stay in. I've done a variety of courses there, including German, and they were always really good and the prices are great. Much better than any expensive course that I have taken part in!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best language school in Germany

Although I have not had first-hand experience, I have a good friend who has attended the Treffpunct language school in Bamberg on and off for the last 4 or 5 years. He has developed a good fluency in Germany and has made a lot of friends while studying there - some of whom have visited him in the US. He likes the personnel at the school, enjoys interacting with other students (of a variety of ages and from a variety of points in Europe and the Balkans), and says that the price is very reasonable. Besides, Bamburg is a very pretty city which specializes in smoked beer! Here is the link to their website.

http://www.learn-german.com/

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Reply to: Best language school in Germany
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Berlin