We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarkets Christmas Eve

Leeds, United...
4 posts
1 review
Supermarkets Christmas Eve

Hello

My husband and I will be spending Christmas in Berlin-yay! We have noticed that supermarkets are closed on Sundays but we arrive late on the 23rd (Saturday). I know shops are open for a 'half day' normally on Christmas Eve but will this not be the case as it's a Sunday? We're kind worried because we're renting a flat and want to cook Christmas dinner ourselves.

Thank you in advance.

Best Seller
Berlin Bike Tour
588 Reviews
from US$37,50*
Best Seller
Discover Berlin Half-Day Walking Tour
1 880 Reviews
from US$16,40*
Best Seller
Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp...
730 Reviews
from US$19,90*
32 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11 271 posts
66 reviews
11. Re: Supermarkets Christmas Eve

You are right, aviatrix. I admit that I only checked the laws for Bavaria, Berlin, Hessen and Rhineland-Palatinate. In Niedersachsen and Schleswig-Holstein a Sunday is a Sunday and shops stay closed - except for those bath towns.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19 914 posts
60 reviews
12. Re: Supermarkets Christmas Eve

Long story short, chances you find a supermarket open on christmas eve are rather slim, so for the basics you need, see if you can get it on saturday. Monday&Tuesday are closed too, but at least restaurants will be open. It is a long holiday

13. Re: Supermarkets Christmas Eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 December 2017, 17:46
Edited: 10 December 2017, 17:46

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5 698 posts
4 reviews
14. Re: Supermarkets Christmas Eve

Niedersachsen/Lower Saxony state law must have an exception because the small city I lived in was in that state and stores can open on Sundays and the 24th this year. It’s also not a „Bad“. There seem to be a lot of exceptions and local regulations.

To sum it up: unless you know for a fact that a store will open on the 24th this year (They would probably put up signs if they did), I‘d except them NOT to open and do all neccessary christmas grocery runs on the 23rd. Like i said, many grocery stores in Berlin are open until midnight so unless OP arrives very late they might still have a chance.

As a last resort: If you do keep an eye open I‘d expect to find grocery stores in Berlin that open on christmas eve...at the very least at large train stations.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
5 191 posts
13 reviews
15. Re: Supermarkets Christmas Eve

Oli - and how can an arbitrary law be a reason for anything?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5 698 posts
4 reviews
16. Re: Supermarkets Christmas Eve

It‘s called a „state of law“, Petra....

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6 709 posts
87 reviews
17. Re: Supermarkets Christmas Eve

Charlotte - where EXACTLY are you staying in Berlin and when do you arrive? I know the city well and will try to recommend a supermarket.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
73 posts
66 reviews
18. Re: Supermarkets Christmas Eve

Martin_Berlin seems to have got it right; from research I have done, Ullrich near Zoo Station opens from 09:00 till 22:00 on Sundays and feast days.

Leeds, United...
4 posts
1 review
19. Re: Supermarkets Christmas Eve

We are staying near Senfelderplatz. We arrive Saturday super late- around 11.30 so we weren't planning on buying food until the morning of the 24th! Thank you for all your help so far

Leeds, United...
4 posts
1 review
20. Re: Supermarkets Christmas Eve

We are staying near Senfelderplatz. We arrive Saturday super late- around 11.30 so we weren't planning on buying food until the morning of the 24th! Thank you for all your help so far

Reply to: Supermarkets Christmas Eve
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted