We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nuremberg Zoo in end Novermber 2018

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Nuremberg Zoo in end Novermber 2018

Hi all,

I will be travelling to Nuremberg with my 4 years old this end of November 2018. I would like to know if it would be worthwhile to visit the famous Nuremberg Zoo during that period? Given that it is cold, would most of the animals go hiding or hibernate? I am actually undecided whether to go to the Nuremberg Zoo or the Munich one or even any zoo during this trip.

Also, what other sights in Nuremberg would be a must do for preschooler of that age? We will be there in time for the starting of Christmas Market and we would likely be going to the Toy museum.

8 replies to this topic
Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Nuremberg Zoo in end Novermber 2018

Please visit the Nuremberg Zoo! It will be one of his fondest memories in the future!Lot many kids visit this zoo. Even the native kids!

So to answer your first question, we had visited it last year on New Year's Eve and it was very cold. Most of the animals and birds were visible and no! They weren't in hibernation as one would assume. In fact they were very much in the open!

Since this zoo is basically in a forest and unlike any other zoo I have ever visited you would need to walk a lot but trust me, it is worth everything! If you want to cover the entire zoo then possibly for 5 hours! So make sure you are wearing comfortable shoes. It's a little uphill (though not much).

They have dolphin shows, feeding sea-lions! It's an amazing place to reconnect with nature. They even have Polar bears and Penguins! Bisons, Pelicans, Giraffe and much more. Many of the animals aren't kept in cage which gives you a greater chance to spot them without all the trouble of dodging the cage bars.

There is a cafe towards the end route but last year when we visited the food wasn't fresh and there is hardly any variety though the server felt apologetic about the stale food. I'm not sure if you can carry food from outside but you can try carrying cookies!

If you are going by public commute then take a tram that goes to Tiergarten(Zoo). Its the last stop. This tram goes via Nuremberg Central Station/Nürnberg Hauptbahnhof so it's very convenient.

I can't possibly answer your second question because I don't have any idea!You can show him the Christmas Markets though. If he loves the rush of people and Christmas tree he would enjoy it! Don't miss the "3 im Weckla" Stall! It's the best!

I hope you have a pleasant stay in Nürnberg :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Nuremberg Zoo in end Novermber 2018

Thanks OneWithTheWing S's TripCollective Progress for your detailed insight about Nuremberg Zoo. I am glad that it is worth the visit even in winter.

From where I come from, it is sunny or rainy all year round. Hence, I thought the animals would be hibernating during winter days.

I will try to fit this into my itinerary. :)

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Nuremberg Zoo in end Novermber 2018

Most welcome :)

I understand why you thought that way because even in my home country we don't have winter like in Nürnberg and I had assumed the same before I visited the zoo! :D

Have a great time!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
71 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Nuremberg Zoo in end Novermber 2018

I agree with OneWithTheWing S...please do visit. I visited on a day with light snow in early March and it was so beautiful. Enjoy!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11 228 posts
5. Re: Nuremberg Zoo in end Novermber 2018

Few animals actually hibernate. Those who cannot go outside because of the snow will be visible indoors, inside the animal houses. Many, though, even species that originally come from hot climates, have adapted well to cooler temperatures. Anyway, hardly any zoo animals have ever actually seen the tropics, most were born in European zoos and have been used to our climate from birth.

Go in the late morning and over midday, then most animals are likely to be outdoors, best on a sunny day.The keepers will take them inside by 3-4 p.m.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9 977 posts
6. Re: Nuremberg Zoo in end Novermber 2018

If you have been to the Singapore Zoo I'd suggest skipping the Nuremberg one because you will be very disappointed.

Check up on the train museum, if that is something to look at.

Unfortunately the information is available in German only, but contact them and ask for tours specific for kids.

https:/…kinderfuehrung.html

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Nuremberg Zoo in end Novermber 2018

Thanks for the clarification. Will definitely put Nuremberg Zoo as one of the itinerary. :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Nuremberg Zoo in end Novermber 2018

Ahh... we have visited the Singapore Zoo. But visiting a zoo in winter seems to be a novel idea.

Anyways, I love the Train Museum idea. Thank you!

Reply to: Nuremberg Zoo in end Novermber 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nuremberg