We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving on a rental from Italy to Munich

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
277 posts
24 reviews
Driving on a rental from Italy to Munich

Looking into my subject I found some post from 2011 but nothing more resent in reference to a sticker my rental should have to comply with "Umweltzone".

I google Unweltzone and I found something dated 2014.

Does this still applies?

Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11 442 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Driving on a rental from Italy to Munich

Yes. You do need a green sticker on the windshield in order to drive in several German cities that have established "environmental zones": https:/…environmentalzones.html Foreign rental cars usually don't come with such a sticker (Italian cities have their own rules and permits), so it is best to stop by a TÜV or ATU shop as soon as you cross the border: https:/…f_index.html It just takes a couple minutes and costs approx 7 EUR.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
4 039 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Driving on a rental from Italy to Munich

I presume since your questions on one way rental earlier in the year that you have found a suitably affordable rental option. One way fees can sometimes be 1000s of euros.

As for the Umweltzone, if you stay at a hotel a little outside of the city center, and take the ubahn into the city, then you dont need to get one. Regardless of the sticker, that might be a reasonable option as then you may have free parking. (checkout Hotel Obermaier in Trudering for example, which is one of the most charming hotels in the city and outside of the umweltzone, and has free parking)

Whether you "need" one at all as a one off visitor is actually a moot point anyhow seeing as theres no cameras systematically checking for it and if you park off the street no traffic warden can see your car. The chances of being stopped randomly by the police (driving normally, in a roadworthy vehicle) is slim.

Edited: 23 October 2018, 09:41
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
277 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Driving on a rental from Italy to Munich

#1 of 2. Thanks! I will make sure to get it as soon as crossing the border!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
277 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Driving on a rental from Italy to Munich

Munich_wanderer.

Thank you! But we already have our hotel in the center. And eventghouh we are just gonna park the car as soon as we arrived and not move it till we leave I intent to get the sticker. Don't want to take chances or violate any bodies rules.

Thanks again.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
31 168 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Driving on a rental from Italy to Munich

Don't forget the Austrian vignette (presumably you will be going that way) and affix it properly, or you will be landed with a heavy fine.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
277 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Driving on a rental from Italy to Munich

Thank you gcek.

Edited: 23 October 2018, 17:39
Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
671 posts
145 reviews
7. Re: Driving on a rental from Italy to Munich

Just don’t enter Germany on a Saturday afternoon or a Sunday. On those days most of the sources of the Umwelt sticker will be closed.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
277 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Driving on a rental from Italy to Munich

Oh! Oh! We are actually crossing the border on Sat Dec 1st!

Wow! Any other idea anybody.

Can't order on the website as off course we don't have the info required to do it online.

Thanks

Edited: 24 October 2018, 01:22
Reply to: Driving on a rental from Italy to Munich
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted