We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

activities in Loches for a half day

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
activities in Loches for a half day

Hello,

Our family plan to visit Loches after visiting Chenoneau in the morning. Can someone suggest activities in Loches, such as walk for sightseeing? Many thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
13 849 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: activities in Loches for a half day

Check the tourist office website for Loches. Visit in person once you arrive to get a free map of the town and other free info.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
2. Re: activities in Loches for a half day

Thank you FM! I just located its tourist office and will start from there. What's special about this town? Is it Royal city, the old town?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13 849 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: activities in Loches for a half day

It's a lovely medieval town with a wonderful castle ruin and along with Chinon is one of my favorite towns in the Loire. Have you looked at the tourist office website? http://www.loches-tourainecotesud.com/eng

Edited: 29 June 2016, 02:12
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26 047 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: activities in Loches for a half day

We had a week stay in Loches. First the town. It is walled at the bottom with lots of little shops in the first area. They hold the markets here twice a week. Then you climb the street up and around the side of the hill. There are gorgeous houses all the way up which I covet. At the top is a serious keep, all forbidding and medieval and a Renaissance palace, still furnished. In between is a curious church with twin hollow pyramids on the roof. When we visited a mother's day mass was in progress and everyone was in white with white roses.

The views over the town are lovely and there are a couple of places to eat if you wish, though my favourite place to eat is the Gerbe d'Or outside the walls in the more modern town.

When we visited the roses were blooming in profusion and were stunning. We visited Chedigny for their rose festival and also walked through nearby Beaulieu-les-Loches which has some gorgeous half timbered houses.

You won't lack things to do.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
5. Re: activities in Loches for a half day

Thank you both for the great ideas!

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
544 posts
67 reviews
6. Re: activities in Loches for a half day

We just got back from our Loire Valley vacation and visited Loches for Friday evening and all day Saturday. Beautiful town to visit. After seeing many chateau in the Lorie Valley, seeing the dungeon/castle was very different and unique. Loved it. Note that the dungeon has an area where you can climb the tower with a iron walkway leading up to the top; the top is VERY high up. I oped not to climb the stairs to do this as I have issues with open stairs and high distances. (I had no problem with stairs in the chateau because they are cement). That said my husband and 2 daughters did the climb and loved it; 1 daughter said she felt slightly queezy looking down as you can see all the way down. But fantastic. We also visited the Collegiate Church of Saint Ours; very pretty. Lastly we were there during the open market on Saturday - VERY busy as I think this is one of the larger markets going on. Parking was difficult so if you go on a Saturday get there early. The market featured mostly food products but they did have a lovely soap shop. Wanted to buy a table cloth or linens but couldn't find any booth that sold these.

I'm sure you will enjoy Loches as we did!!

Reply to: activities in Loches for a half day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loches