We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amboise or Loches

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Amboise or Loches

I'm planning my first (maybe last) trip to Paris. We'll be spending most of the week there but i want to get out and see some of France while I'm there. The Loire valley was recommended to me. Im looking for a smallish town with good food, laid back atmosphere that will still allow us to see a liitle bit of this pretty area. We'll be arriving by train from the airport on a Saturday and leaving Monday afternoon for Paris. What location would be best?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98 168 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Amboise or Loches

Loches is much less "touristy" than Amboise, and would be my choice in terms of ambience.

However, if you will not have a car, you would do best to stay in Tours as it has much better public transport connections.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8 694 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Amboise or Loches

You can get to Tours to Amboise in 17 minutes on the train so it would be possible to do both cost about €15 return.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24 457 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Amboise or Loches

If you have no car, you will want to stay in Tours and specifically the older part in the center of town. There are plenty of hotels, restaurants, shopping, museums, concerts within easy walking distance if you stay in the area roughly defined by that between the train station (Tours Centre) and Place Plumereau.

The transportation options from either Amboise or Loches are limited for those on foot and the bulk of the restaurants in Amboise particularly are very tourist oriented.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7 056 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Amboise or Loches

Loches is everything that Amboise claims to be. Having said that, if you're doing public transport only, neither town will suit, as you will have to make the journey through Tours to get to anywhere else.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Amboise or Loches

Thanks everyone for the advice. We're thinking, based on your feedback, that we will take the train from Paris to Tours and rent a car there. Given that change Amboise might be the best bet for location? I like to avoid "touristy," but, then again, I am one. We really just want to see a couple of chateaux, but mostly absorb a different atmosphere than Paris.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98 168 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Amboise or Loches

If you will have a car, go to Loches rather than Amboise. The ambience is much better, and you will have no difficulty getting to chateaux.

Book the train to St-Pierre-des-Corps, just outside Tours. This is the main station used by TGVs and will have a better selection of cars.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 05:25
7. Re: Amboise or Loches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 08:21
Get answers to your questions about Loches