We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loches to Tours Train Station

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
343 posts
24 reviews
Loches to Tours Train Station

We are thinking of staying in beautiful Loches for several days. This is our first trip to the Loire Valley. We will have a car. We want to visit Chateaus, markets and maybe a winery. We are wondering if Loches is a good base? In addition, we will be catching the 8:00am train on a Monday to Charles de Gualle Airport. Will it be feasible for us to be almost an hour away from the train station for such an early trip? Or, should we look at something closer to Tours? We like quaint little towns and quaint accommodations.

Thank you for any help. We appreciate it very much!

4 replies to this topic
Brea, Ca.
Level Contributor
323 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Loches to Tours Train Station

The obvious issue is returning your rental car before catching the 8 am train--will the rental car office be open or will you be comfortable just dropping the car off? I'd check to make sure but you could spend the last night in Tours having dropped the car off the day before catching your early train.

Maine
Level Contributor
818 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Loches to Tours Train Station

Hi, Loches to Tours is just under an hour around 50 kms. You should plan on leaving two hours before your train. I think It was five years ago and no gps, or cell phones. We returned a car before the train to Paris and we're glad we brought printed maps. Before you leave ,print out a map for the drive to Tours, along with a street map-with location of a gas station near the Gare and then to find the car drop off at the Tours Gare then dropping the key and where the car you parked the car. You want to be waiting about ten or fifteen minutes to be on the right track before the train.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5 735 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Loches to Tours Train Station

Bonjour, KNBDenver,

Loches is a very good base, considering that you will be in the Loire Valley for several days. We stayed near Loches and enjoyed driving in the country. While you are there, please also go to Montresor, one of the Plus Beaux Villages. In case your are there on May 26-27, those are the dates of Chedigny's 2018 annual rose festival.

MrsJAS

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
343 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Loches to Tours Train Station

Greatsantni - I did not even think about the car rental agency not being open to return the car in the morning. I think we will stay in Tours the night before and also return the car the day before our train trip, therefore no worries.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Reply to: Loches to Tours Train Station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loches