We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

xmas light switch on

bolton england
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
xmas light switch on

is tomorrow night at the crown , y does bolton get a great switch on when we get nothing much and we pay more poll tax

( having a rant today) x

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8 457 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: xmas light switch on

Sorry Angie I don't understand what you mean. Who is turning the Christmas lights on in the Town Centre? Is it a celebrity? I don't buy the BEN so I don't know. Will it be worth attending?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8 457 posts
88 reviews
2. Re: xmas light switch on

Just realised what you mean. Dave Spikey switched on the Bolton town centre lights and I presume that you are refering to the Christmas lights in Horwich. Personally as a Mancunian who has now lived in Bolton for half of my life I still do not understand why people from the outer areas of Bolton do not see themselves as Boltonians. Perhaps you could throw some light (excuse the pun) on this. As I think potential visitors to the Bolton area may well be as confused as I have been for the last 26 years.

bolton england
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: xmas light switch on

hi sue ,i would say you was a boltoner , having lived here a long time i was born in farnworth . its like saying im horwicher as i have lived here all my life but im not i was born in bolton lol

it gets confusing !

UK
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
4. Re: xmas light switch on

Hi Angie

you seem to be the person in the know for Bolton, can you give me any advice as to where would be best to take my son for his birthday party next week, he'll be 6.

I dont really fancy taking him to some wacky warehouse, somewhere a bit better than that then pictures afterwards.

thanks for any help

bolton england
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: xmas light switch on

hi dickey blue eyes , a tricky one , for a six year there is not much really that i know of its all these types of places now i will ask my class of 6year olds tomorrow what they would like to do and will get back to you x

bolton england
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: xmas light switch on

sorry dickie got your name wrong lol

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: xmas light switch on

Nice to see all the families didnt have to flee (and be locked into) Macdonalds this year to avoid all the yobs and hoodies that destroyed last years event!. It was very scarry, lots of arrests... nothing light switching the lights on in Bolton eh?. If your in the area this year, theres a nice Xmas Market on in Victoria Square (Townhall Square) and its also the last chance to see our old victorian market hall in its festive glory before its "done up" into a modern mall.

Horwich, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
129 reviews
8. Re: xmas light switch on

I'd say it's because Bolton is the town/city centre, wheras Horwich is just a little outter bit, and the lights we have here in Horwich are hardly meritable of a celebrity... a few strings of bulbs up Winter Hey Lane and 2 strings (which arent even connected to each other) on Lee Lane! I mean if we had a more extensive and impressive Christmas Lights display then sure maybe a celebrity might turn them on, but as it stands they're just some cheap-o small town centre lights!

I used to live in Wythenshawe in Manchester, and they only had Christmas lights in their main shopping precinct as there was no main town centre aside that, and even then that didnt get a celebrity either.

bolton england
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: xmas light switch on

true T R but has we pay the most poll tax we dont get much even though we are a little town . how are you you have not been on for ages x

10. Re: xmas light switch on

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Bolton