We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Bolton

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
London to Bolton

I'm taking a two-week course in London this summer, and I'd like to spend my one free day (a Saturday) visiting my grandfather's hometown of Bolton, Lancashire. What's the fastest, most cost-effective way of reaching Bolton from London? Also, with only one day to take it all in, what should I visit (besides the house he was born in!)? And lastly, what's the name of the local newspaper in Bolton? I'd like to post a letter in the hopes of drumming up some possible relatives to visit. It's a long shot, but it could pan out.

Thanks!

:)

24 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5 817 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: London to Bolton

My mothers family came from Bolton too... :)

I really like Manchester area so maybe there is an ancestral pull or something. You can fly to Manchester but it's like 45 minutes in the air and 3 hours at the airports on either side. Train is probably a more restful option. Trains go from London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly and it takes 2 hours. You can get an idea of fares etc and even prebook on the National Rail website.

Good luck

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
4 088 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: London to Bolton

The local paper, for years known as the Bolton Evening News is now called simply the Bolton News.

Where exactly in Bolton do you hope to visit? I come from generations of Boltonians.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
296 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: London to Bolton

Take the train from London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly, where you can pick up a local train to Bolton. Although you can buy a through ticket from London to Bolton, you may find it cheaper to book at www.virgintrains.com for the London to Manchester leg and then buy a local 'rover' ticket when you get to Manchester to cover your trains/buses/trams in the Manchester/Bolton area (see www.tfgm.co.uk).

The local paper is the 'Bolton News' - www.boltonnews.co.uk.

Bolton is very much a work a day town, with no particular stand out sights that I can recall - but the busy town centre is quite grand in parts with lots of ornate stone built Victorian buildings and has lots of shops and cafes - the market is quite good from memory. Bolton locals may give you better suggestions.

As you are coming up from London, you may want to stay o/night to get a better feel for the area. Manchester has lots to do and see and could be a good place to base yourself.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: London to Bolton

Thanks, Africandaisy! I was initially thinking that flying would be faster, but I hadn't accounted for the either distance between the airports and city centres OR the additional time required for airport security, etc. I think I'll try the train, then. I suppose Saturdays in July will be considered "high season", right?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: London to Bolton

Thanks, Chesterbuff!

From the Ancestry.ca site, I learned that my grandfather's family came from Great Lever, Bolton. Is that kind of central? Is it near the train station? What's the transit like in the city? I was kind of hoping it was walk-able to some degree.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: London to Bolton

Thanks, anneandchris!

You've certainly shared a wealth of information with me! :)

Unfortunately I don't think it's practical for me to stay overnight, especially since I'll be dragging a friend along who is a little less interested in Bolton history than I am! I'll definitely check out the Virgin trains and "Rover" tickets. How close is Manchester to Bolton, anyway?

7. Re: London to Bolton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 February 2012, 12:14

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
4 088 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: London to Bolton

You will need to get a bus to Great Lever from the station, particularly as you are only there for a few hours.

Manchester to Bolton is less than 10 miles.

Where exactly in Great Lever? Do you have an address, or a church or school name? Unless you know where you are going you could easily wander around and not find what you want. Bolton is a large town; even Great Lever is quite extensive.

You must see the Town Hall- magnificent ,as is the crescent of municipal buildings behind it. The open market at Ashburner Street has been voted the best market in Britain and is open on Saturdays. The old Market Hall in Knowsley Street is also an impressive building though the stalls are not what they once were.

Let us know if you need any more information

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: London to Bolton

Chesterbuff, the only concrete address I have is 13 Rishton Lane---but that was from the 1881 census, and I rather doubt that even with the high British standards for building preservation, the house is still standing as it once was.

Just before he died, I asked Grandpa for some addresses so that I could do a little research. He was awfully "fuzzy" at the time, but he mentioned 186 Arnold Street, which apparently was and end row house at Arnold Street and Bennet's Lane. He said he went to school at St. Paul's School on Halliwell Road, and attended St. Paul's Church. I also recall him referring to a "Rushafold Lane" as well, but I don't have a number.

Do any of these places still exist? Are they all in Great Lever?

I'm so excited that there's an open market on Saturdays...I definitely want to see that!

Radcliffe, United...
Level Contributor
2 384 posts
302 reviews
10. Re: London to Bolton

Kathy..

Rishton lane is still there i,m sure your grandpa,s house is still up...now for the other adresses they are in the part of the town called halliwell. which is the other side of bolton meaning if you went up great lever you would need to get the bus back into town and another bus to go up halliwell or a local taxi firm which would cost you around the £6 mark to vist arnold st,,rushy fold lane and bennets lane st pauls church. all these places are still up and going strong, i use to go to st pauls church myself as it was my family church.was in the boy scouts etc.and my family are still in the area. infact to get to my mums i have to walk down rushy fold lane so i would be passing your grandpa,s old place

Edited: 20 February 2012, 10:18
Reply to: London to Bolton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bolton