We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limerick to Galway- Easiest way to travel

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Limerick to Galway- Easiest way to travel
Save

I'm thinking of taking a tour that ends in Limerick and then heading to Galway for a day or 2 then fly out of Shannon to USA. Train or private coach?

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
133 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Limerick to Galway- Easiest way to travel
Save

There is an express bus (X51) that runs between Limerick and Galway. I rode it last year, it was an easy trip.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
5 335 posts
66 reviews
47 helpful votes
2. Re: Limerick to Galway- Easiest way to travel
Save

There are effectively 4 choices

- Bus Éireann X51

- Bus Éireann 51

- CityLink

- Irish Rail

Avoid route 51, it stops a lot more than either the X51 or CityLink and is consequently slower.

There’s no particular reason to favour either of the other bus routes.

The train will be more comfortable on board, but at a higher price and with no real time saving; in fact many services are slower than the bus.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
41 521 posts
3. Re: Limerick to Galway- Easiest way to travel
Save

In Galway, this decent hotel is next door to the train and bus station.

www.thehardiman.ie

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 869 posts
248 reviews
168 helpful votes
4. Re: Limerick to Galway- Easiest way to travel
Save

The most effective way would be the X51 as already mentioned but for a more pleasant journey, I much prefer the train.

It isn’t actually more expensive than the bus because it’s more of a commuter route than the intercity services.

It does take longer than the X51 bus, but you are rewarded with some lovely views of Galway bay as the train comes in to Galway city.

www.irishrail.ie

And the Hardiman as recommended by lord kimmage is located right at the station.

Ireland
Level Contributor
793 posts
1 review
5. Re: Limerick to Galway- Easiest way to travel
Save

The X51 was suspended around a year ago at the onset of the pandemic and I understand it is permanently withdrawn,

There are sometimes special online fares for the train. Check and book directly on the Irish Rail site in due course.

Hope this helps.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
6 716 posts
34 reviews
30 helpful votes
6. Re: Limerick to Galway- Easiest way to travel
Save

Why would you want a "private" coach? If you want a longer scenic route take either train or bus to Ennis and switch to Bus Eireann 350.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
33 261 posts
101 reviews
134 helpful votes
7. Re: Limerick to Galway- Easiest way to travel
Save

There are a number of Private Coach operators operating on the main routes around the country.

Companies such as Citylink, Kavanaghs and M7 /Dublin Coach. All excellent services.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
6 716 posts
34 reviews
30 helpful votes
8. Re: Limerick to Galway- Easiest way to travel
Save

However the private coach operators provide public services as well as private hire. Unless the OP has a group, surely a private coach would be prohibitively expensive. Surely from the individual traveller's perspective a public service is simply that whether operated by a company controlled by the State or otherwise.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
33 261 posts
101 reviews
134 helpful votes
9. Re: Limerick to Galway- Easiest way to travel
Save

Depending on how many people there are, a private taxi might work. According to the Taxi Fare calculator, it would cost between €163.60 and €247.80 (depending on traffic) to go from O'Connell Street in Limerick to Eyre Square in Galway between 8am and 8pm. Thats €40.90 to €61.95 per person if there are four people travelling. It would be dearer than the bus or the train but might be worth considering.

But Clarebear has never come back to us..... So perhaps we will never know what suits them best!!

Clarebear, if you are reading this, its always good form to come back and say Thank You to people who have contributed. Wink, wink.

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
10. Re: Limerick to Galway- Easiest way to travel
Save

My apologies! Thank you very much everybody who has written with great information. I truly appreciate your input. Love this forum- made my first visit amazing and now that my Ancestry profile reveals my Irish roots. I'm hoping to return as soon as safely possible.

Reply to: Limerick to Galway- Easiest way to travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dublin
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.