We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Northern Ireland without a passport

England
Level Contributor
209 posts
149 reviews
84 helpful votes
Travelling to Northern Ireland without a passport
Save

Hi everyone

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I am thinking of planning a surprise trip for my Father to Northern Ireland, where he grew up (but hasn't been back in years). The only problem is that he has no passport, and no ID that I know of (unless you count a pensioner's bus pass!) As we are still travelling within the UK, do all airlines require a passport? We'd be happy to travel by ferry too.

Thanks everyone

182 replies to this topic
england
Level Contributor
5 438 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Travelling to Northern Ireland without a passport
Save

technically you do not need a passport to enter Northern Ireland as it is part of the UK, but you do need ID to board either a plane or a ferry, Depending whether you decide to fly or sail, you will have to check with the actual carrier what they require. The bus pass might do it!! But I would e mail them to ask, print out their reply and take it with me. Someone in the office may well say yes, but the jobsworth at the port will say no.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
34 helpful votes
2. Re: Travelling to Northern Ireland without a passport
Save

hi

All adults traveling by air within UK require valid photographic id, not necessarily a passport - you would need to check with individual airlines as to which ones they accept. I think Flybe will accept a bus pass but you do need to check their websites as they all differ. No id is needed to travel by ferry

england
Level Contributor
5 438 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Travelling to Northern Ireland without a passport
Save

#For all International ferry crossings every passenger must have their passport with them to get onboard the ferry. We advise all British Nationals to have no less than 6 months left to expire. For passengers travelling on any Domestic ferry crossing (for example within the UK) a form of photo ID is accepted if a passport is not available.#

www.ferryonline.co.uk

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
109 736 posts
16 reviews
17 helpful votes
4. Re: Travelling to Northern Ireland without a passport
Save

Britain to Northern Ireland is not an international ferry crossing, so any form of photo ID should be acceptable.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
3 168 posts
22 reviews
21 helpful votes
5. Re: Travelling to Northern Ireland without a passport
Save

I agree with the advice to check with the individual carrier. What Flybe might consider acceptable photo ID, Stenaline might not for example.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2 632 posts
6. Re: Travelling to Northern Ireland without a passport
Save

Dig through the airline's or ferry's website long enough and you'll find the answer for each carrier.

I don't think any insist on a passport - but they don't all settle for a bus pass (though some do!). From memory, some require a photographic driving licence. But they're not all the same.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
34 helpful votes
7. Re: Travelling to Northern Ireland without a passport
Save

Niether P&O or Stena ferrylines require id to travel to N. Ireland - they recommend you carry some id in case there are spot checks by police. Its the same for travel via Dublin ferries although it makes sense to carry id. This info was valid last week as I checked for some English friends.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
6 631 posts
34 reviews
30 helpful votes
8. Re: Travelling to Northern Ireland without a passport
Save

BMI don't require ID on their only route LHR-BHD.

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
341 posts
112 reviews
44 helpful votes
9. Re: Travelling to Northern Ireland without a passport
Save

Ryanair insist on passports for all domestic flight so dont use them, easyjet i know accept drivers licence/ work pass with photo so may accept a bus pass if it has photo. but avoid Ryanair at all costs. flybe seems pretty flexible, and the ferries will be fine.

good luck

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
79 posts
10. Re: Travelling to Northern Ireland without a passport
Save

One also need to what consider what is required enter and leave the Republic of Ireland if going that way, which is the fastest ferry + car/train route from Liverpool/Manchester/Leeds and further south.

Reply to: Travelling to Northern Ireland without a passport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belfast
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.