We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we visit Titanic and Giants Causeway in one day visit?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
898 posts
923 reviews
789 helpful votes
Can we visit Titanic and Giants Causeway in one day visit?
Save

We are visiting Belfast on a cruise ship on a Sunday in early September.

A visit to the Titanic Experience is a must for us (including the guided tour.

We can be off the ship by 8am and must be back on board by 5pm.

Is it practical to try to do both the Titanic and to visit the Giants Causeway in one day?

We propose to travel independently - not with a ship excursion.

We would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

14 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
418 posts
16 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Can we visit Titanic and Giants Causeway in one day visit?
Save

Possible = yes

Recommended = probably not

If this is a “one time only” visit to Belfast then I’d say go for it and probably look at hiring a taxi for the trip. Given your location says Bristol though and in normal times EadyJet flights are <£50 I’d lean towards “no”

Portsmouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Portsmouth
Level Contributor
6 368 posts
2 612 reviews
10 742 helpful votes
2. Re: Can we visit Titanic and Giants Causeway in one day visit?
Save

When we were staying in Dublin a couple of years back we took a tour to Belfast which included the Titanic Museum and the Causeway, but we elected simply to visit the Museum and spend some time in the City. However, there were others on the tour who covered both and were happy with the time available. So based on that and that you will have an early start in Belfast, then both should be possible, specially if this will be your only chance. However, bear in mind that you will need to be back on board quite early. Not cheap, but it would be worth contacting a private tour operator in advance that can pick you up from the ship and return you within the agreed time

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
6 631 posts
34 reviews
30 helpful votes
3. Re: Can we visit Titanic and Giants Causeway in one day visit?
Save

You could fly over from Bristol for a day trip for only £60 return, so why try to rush everything just because you are in port for a day?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
898 posts
923 reviews
789 helpful votes
4. Re: Can we visit Titanic and Giants Causeway in one day visit?
Save

Thank you for the thoughts.

I suspect (after looking at Google maps) that i knew the answer - don't try to do too much.

The Giants Causeway can wait - it's been around for quite a while - and we have plans to bring our caravan over to Ireland (North and South) one day when travel restrictions improve.

As always - good advice from people who know.

Many thanks.

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland, County Donegal
Level Contributor
5 208 posts
150 reviews
93 helpful votes
5. Re: Can we visit Titanic and Giants Causeway in one day visit?
Save

it could be done but I'd say don't. My issue is the Giants causeway is more than the actual stones but the miles of coast line and surrounding areas around it. The Titanic would take around 5 hours to see comfortably and taking in each part of it. It starts getting darker earlier in September as well. Stick to Titanic etc. and a tour round Belfast.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
6. Re: Can we visit Titanic and Giants Causeway in one day visit?
Save

If you have a special Titanic interest be sure to visit http://www.titanicsdock.com/

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
40 926 posts
7. Re: Can we visit Titanic and Giants Causeway in one day visit?
Save

I spent six hours at Titanic. It was just about enough.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
3 965 posts
184 reviews
88 helpful votes
8. Re: Can we visit Titanic and Giants Causeway in one day visit?
Save

You may be surprised at how long it will take to see the Titanic Experience,it is quite superb,as has been suggested,plan another visit to Belfast from Bristol,flight or ferry,at a later date,it is a beautiful city & there are tours available to explore the likes of the Causeway & The Rope Bridge!

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
2 553 posts
12 reviews
21 helpful votes
9. Re: Can we visit Titanic and Giants Causeway in one day visit?
Save

Personally I think that the Titanic building is an eyesore, I know a lot of people like it, and looks so out of place, although if the recent plans go ahead for the area it will be hidden by more overdevelopment around it which defeats the purpose of having a ‘standout’ building if you are going to surround it with tower blocks.

As said above it would be too rushed to try both in one day, although if the weather is good I would do the Causeway Coasr rather than be inside most of the day.

Edited: 06 April 2021, 10:28
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16 507 posts
65 reviews
27 helpful votes
10. Re: Can we visit Titanic and Giants Causeway in one day visit?
Save

I wouldn't, i think you'll be clock watching all day and there's plenty to occupy you in the city. If you go to the Titanic experience I would recommend the ticket option that includes a guided walking tour before you go round the exhibits, I found that really interesting.

Reply to: Can we visit Titanic and Giants Causeway in one day visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belfast
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.