We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scunnered!

Kirkwall
Level Contributor
536 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
Scunnered!
Save

Well this was the weekend our long planned and looked forward trip to Belfast was to be...best laid plans!

My daughter and I have been over a couple of times for concerts but last April we decided to visit this Spring for a few days and just enjoy being there. We started putting ten pounds each in a Terramundi every week and had great fun planning what we would do.

Our plans were to arrive about lunchtime on Thursday, take the Hoho bus tour in the afternoon and have a wander about in the evening. Friday was to be an early bus to Newtownards to visit Mount Stewart and hopefully drop in by the lovely candle maker we order from, along with a couple of food stops from recommendations on here. Today we should have been at St George's Market and shopping, eating (and drinking) our way around town. We thought another visit might be needed on the Sunday morning followed by a trip to Bangor in the afternoon where all my childhood holidays were spent with Granny in Carnalea....happy days! Before leaving on the Monday we planned some last minute shopping, including some lovely cheese from a shop we discovered online.

So as I said, best laid plans! Even though the Terramundi is nearly full we're still ramming our tenners in and when we get let loose again we'll be getting the hammer out!

Scunnered...definitely but still hopeful!

Edited: 16 May 2020, 13:19
22 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
18 609 posts
14 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: Scunnered!
Save

And the non Scots on here will be asking?

What does scunnered mean!

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
1 284 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Scunnered!
Save

Nah, we all know what it means.

Kirkwall
Level Contributor
536 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Scunnered!
Save

Haha sorry! It means somewhat disgruntled or is perhaps a more polite term than totally p***ed off....which is what I am!

Edited: 16 May 2020, 13:54
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
40 492 posts
4. Re: Scunnered!
Save

What a delightful colloquialism.

Many thanks for sharing.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
7 968 posts
63 reviews
126 helpful votes
5. Re: Scunnered!
Save

I knew “ scunnered” but what’s a Terramundi ?

And what an uplifting attitude and description of your “ look forward tos “

What’s the word for “ disappointed but still positive and upbeat”? A “ Gillian “

Great post

Edited: 16 May 2020, 14:42
Kirkwall
Level Contributor
536 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Scunnered!
Save

Thank you leuca, what a lovely thing to say!

A Terramundi is a clay pot to save money in, you can't open it so you have to smash it when it's full...it's very satisfying! X

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
6 600 posts
34 reviews
30 helpful votes
7. Re: Scunnered!
Save

Close to the Northern Irish “scundered” although the nuance is more towards embarrassed than annoyed:

https://happydomesticity.wordpress.com/norn-iron-speek-or-northern-irish-dictionary/

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
36 651 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Scunnered!
Save

Those of us of a "certain age" will remember The Scunner Campbell who terrorised Chiseltown

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
1 027 posts
21 reviews
12 helpful votes
9. Re: Scunnered!
Save

Those of us from North Antrim and other Ulster-Scots areas would have used "scunnered" (meaning fed up) rather than the more Belfast "scundered" (meaning embarrassed).

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 465 posts
330 reviews
94 helpful votes
10. Re: Scunnered!
Save

Word usage varies in Scotland too.

Reply to: Scunnered!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belfast
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.