We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes or sand fleas- April?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3 759 posts
58 reviews
Mosquitoes or sand fleas- April?

We are traveling to CB this weekend for the first time. Usually, I pack some OFF or similar when we are in the Caribbean and spray my ankles and feet at least when eating dinner out in open air places. Should I be packing some repellant for this time of the year in CB as well? Thanks for info.

I am used to places where pests are apt to be around at dawn and dusk, in dead grasses washed up on beaches, etc. Anything different in Cayman?

Thanks!!

3 replies to this topic
Illinois
Level Contributor
1 743 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Mosquitoes or sand fleas- April?

The Caymans have good mosquito abatement programs, but if the wind is down, or you are exploring areas with heavy vegetation, or you are just hanging around outdoors at dusk you can get bitten.

I don't recall problems with sand fleas on Brac but I can think of 2 instances when the mosquitos were bad. The first time was when we were out during the day visiting some of the caves on the island. The caves were interesting, and Rebecca's Cave was very touching, but we got some serious mosquito bites for our efforts.

And the last time we were on Brac, two years ago, I didn't have any problems with mosquitos all week - even when we were out at the bar in the evening - up until our last night on the island. The Cayman Brac Beach Resort provides a great barbecue dinner on Friday nights, and we haven't had problems with mosquitos during the BBQ in the past, but that time the winds were down and the biting insects were out in force. It was necessary to use repellent to avoid getting eaten alive!

I always bring some mosquito repellent with me to the Cayman islands but I don't always use it - but when I need it I am glad to have it! But you probably don't have to pack it, they've always had some cans available at the bar at CBBR for the guests to use.

I also recall one time when we went exploring around the abandoned resort next to the CBBR - the old Divi Tiara resort - there were some mosquitos but it wasn't too bad - but the stickers and burrs were awful, so be sure to wear long pants and shoes and socks if you go tramping into the wild places on the island.

If you get a chance, try to visit the Cayman Brac museum, it is a small museum but very interesting and their collection of eyewitness accounts from the survivors of the terrible hurricane in 1932 brings it all to life.

Have a great trip and please post a report when you return!

Edited: 04 April 2018, 04:59
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3 759 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Mosquitoes or sand fleas- April?

Thanks so much for your continued great advice!! I will most definitely go to the museum (I was a history teacher before I became a school counselor so I love local history in places we visit)!

I will pack some spray just in case. We usually rent houses where we travel on islands rather than staying in hotels and I always leave insect repellent, sunscreen, and other items for the next renter or the housekeeping staff rather than taking it home since I know things can get pricey on islands. If I left things, I suppose someone would use them?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1 743 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Mosquitoes or sand fleas- April?

I imagine that some of the cans available at the bar were left by previous guests, I am sure that someone will use them!

Edited: 04 April 2018, 05:18
Reply to: Mosquitoes or sand fleas- April?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cayman Brac