We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Cayman Brac to little Cayman?,

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Day trip from Cayman Brac to little Cayman?,

We will be traveling to Cayman Brac in March. It has been about 20 years since I was last here. Been to Grand Cayman many times, but excited about staying at the Brac. Questions, Is there a boat trip we can take to Little Cayman without breaking the bank? Also, Coming from the states into Grand Cayman before catching Cayman Air to the Brac, can I shop duty free? Does anyone know the cost if I bring over more than 1 bottle of liquor? Also, bringing my 20 year old son, he has never been to CB or LC, what should he see and do?

thanks for any tips of things we need to see and do.

14 replies to this topic
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6 297 posts
100 reviews
1. Re: Day trip from Cayman Brac to little Cayman?,

I can help you with the Duty Free.

You will need to shop for the Duty Free at your last airport before leaving the US.

Each adult travelling can bring in the following that is exempt from import duty (no matter where you bought them):

Up to 1 liter of Potable Spirits

Or 4 liters of wine

Or 1 case of Beer (not exceeding 8 liters)

As far as duty once you get above that - it's (in general)

Beer: $1.95 per litre

Wine: $3.60 per litre

Spirits: $11.85 per litre

Liquors and Cordials: $13,50 per litre

These would be Cayman dollars, of course.

If you need more specifics I got these from: customs.gov.ky/portal/…12518454.PDF

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3 721 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Day trip from Cayman Brac to little Cayman?,

We are coming to Cayman Brac in April for a first visit and would be flying through GC as well. Along this same question line, is there a liquor store in CB? I understand that prices would be higher than US but, for example, how much would you actually pay for a liter of vodka like Skyy, Tito's, Absolut or that range? Is rum less expensive than other things like it is in other places we have visited in the Caribbean or still high?

Thanks!!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3 721 posts
58 reviews
3. Re: Day trip from Cayman Brac to little Cayman?,

I would also be interested in the answer to the OP's question about getting from CB to LC.

Thanks!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Day trip from Cayman Brac to little Cayman?,

To my knowledge, there is no passenger boat service for hire going from CB to LC, unless you were able to hire a dive boat from somewhere to take you over. Keep in mind that making such a passage would depend on the weather and seas being favorable. You can fly on Cayman Air for around $75 RT, but keep in mind that the plane cabins are unpressurized and they fly at several thousand feet if you are planning to do any diving. To be honest, unless you are a hardcore birder, diving is really the only thing that would really make a day trip from Brac to LC worth the trip. There just are not many things to do an see topside on LC.

As for liquor prices, I can't give you specific prices, as I don't typically buy alcohol. There is a liquor store in Brac, and yes, prices are quite high from what I understand. Also, keep in mind that when you come in through GC with duty free liquor, you will not be able to carry it on with you when you go back through security after you clear customs and immigration and checking your bags for the flight to the Brac. You will need to stow it in a checked bag for the flight across to the Brac.

Edited: 05 February 2018, 23:26
Illinois
Level Contributor
1 702 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Day trip from Cayman Brac to little Cayman?,

There are liquor stores on Brac as well as grocery stores, and there are some convenience stores including a liquor store not far from the airport, but the stores are closed on Sunday and liquor is pricey.

Someone recently posted on this forum that the cheapest bottle of rum on Brac was $30 US, and the price tends to go up if you want anything else.

During the high season (that probably includes March) Cayman Air offers some direct flights to Brac from Miami which are very convenient because you don't have to land on Grand Cayman and go through immigration, collect your bags and go through customs, then check in for your interisland flight and check your bags, and then go through security to access the departure lounge and board a plane for Brac.

But if you are flying through GCM, that is exactly what you will have to do, and as others have said, you cannot take any liquids larger than 3 oz through security (they confiscate your liquor even though it is wrapped and labeled duty free.) So you have to pad it well and put it inside your checked bag - it's a short flight so it should be okay, or you can just pay extra to buy liquor when you get to Brac. There are duty free stores in the departure lounge at GCM but you cannot purchase anything unless you are leaving the country.

As mentioned, both of the dive operators on Brac (Reef Divers and Brac Scuba Shack) will take a boat of divers over to Little Cayman to dive the Bloody Bay Wall, the dive ops on LC will do the same to dive on the Russian Frigate Wreck off Brac.

The 2 islands are only about 5 miles apart, so it is not a long trip, they generally charge individuals that are diving with them a "fuel surcharge" for about $35; but they will only make the trip if enough people are interested and if the weather is good - so it's not like a regular daily excursion.

I agree that unless you are diving there are more things to see and do on Brac than Little Cayman. We like to do 2-island trips when we visit the Caymans but we always spend a week on Grand Cayman before traveling to either CB or LC.

Be aware that you may be flying a small Twin Otter plane from GCM to CYB, you are only allowed 55 lbs per person luggage - and that may include your carry-ons because there isn't much room in the cabin for carry-ons and most items have to be checked. Missing luggage is also a regular fact-of-life on the sister islands.

We recently returned from a trip to GC and Little Cayman one of our bags didn't show up for 24 hours. I always take a large purse that I can either shove under the tiny seat in front of me, or hold on my lap and I carry medications, documents - including scuba C-Cards, contact lenses, sun glasses, swimsuits, and a few clean clothes.

Despite a few inconveniences, we love all 3 Cayman Islands, have a great trip!

Edited: 06 February 2018, 00:44
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3 721 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: Day trip from Cayman Brac to little Cayman?,

Thanks, Kathy! Your replies were very helpful to me back in the late summer when I had hoped to get there in the fall. We went somewhere else instead on that trip but are very excited to be going to Cayman Brac in early April. We'll be staying at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort where my husband is looking forward to lots of diving! Thanks again! Any additional tips are welcomed- we will be flying from ATL to GCM on Delta and then Cayman Air to CB so I will just contribute to the local economy with snack and drink purchases since we are going to be AI with meals there and won't need too much additionally.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1 702 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Day trip from Cayman Brac to little Cayman?,

We love the Cayman Brac Beach Resort and have stayed there at least 3 times. Most of the AI packages at CBBR do not include drinks - and it can be very pricey to buy all of your beverages at the bar - although it is a beautiful and fun bar!

You can add on a "3 drinks per day" option to your package before you get there. I think that they are mostly well drinks and you have to carry a card to mark off your beverages - it seemed kind of complicated, but I have never tried it so I don't know if it is a good deal.

Most of the rooms have small refrigerators (if you don't get one ask for one) and an ice machine is freely available to guests behind the bar, so you may want to bring a bottle with you or pick one up at the liquor store near the airport - you can borrow a free bicycle from the resort to ride there - but wear a hat and bring a bottle of water.

The food is buffet but very good, especially the desserts! But divers are a hungry group and tend to show up as soon as the dining room opens - so get there early! If you are late and the selection is looking a bit picked over, ask for something else and they will prepare it for you.

There is a nice little spa at the resort and you can get a massage or manicure or other services, but book your appointments early. The divers start to feel their aches and pains as the week progresses and the appointments start to fill up fast.

There is an absolutely gorgeous infinity pool, as well as hammocks and lounges and plenty of opportunities for relaxing. The beach is lovely but it is not a good swimming beach - turtle grass and rocks and boat traffic.

There are usually some entertainments offered at the bar every night - Bingo night is a lot of fun and the Friday night barbecue is delicious!

The onsite dive op Reef Divers is an excellent operation with beautiful big boats and the diving is lovely. Your AI reservation includes diving but not the tips for the dive staff, and if he prefers to dive Nitrox that is also an extra fee. If your husband gets the chance to take the trip over to Little Cayman to dive the Bloody Bay Wall - tell him to do it - it's great!

We usually rent a car for one day to explore the island. There is a lovely little museum, the caves are interesting (but the mosquitos can be bad!) The Brac is beautiful and there are wetlands, and wildlife preserves, a few bars and restaurants, and lots of friendly people.

Below are some links that you may find of interest, have fun!

Cayman Brac video:

https://vimeo.com/165357805

https://youtu.be/NTcZso-Zg80

Cayman Brac:

xray-mag.com/pdfs/articles/Travel_CaymanBrac…

https:/…

caribjournal.com/2015/…

https:/…

Cayman Brac free tours:

islands.com/free-tour-you-cant-miss-cayman-b…

https:/…76031148

Edited: 07 February 2018, 06:16
Sk. Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
111 reviews
8. Re: Day trip from Cayman Brac to little Cayman?,

We dove with Brac Scuba Shack on Cayman Brac. They will go to Little Cayman to dive at Bloody Bay wall. But when the sea is stirred up, they will not do the 5 miles each way in the waves. It's just too scary out on the open water in little boats. They said the water is calmer in the summer months

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Day trip from Cayman Brac to little Cayman?,

Thanks for your reply. Am I allowed to shop duty free in Grand Cayman before leaving for the Brac?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Day trip from Cayman Brac to little Cayman?,

Thanks so much. Great information. We are also spending a week in Grand Cayman on our way back. We are so excited and cant wait.

Reply to: Day trip from Cayman Brac to little Cayman?,
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cayman Brac