We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to know ahead of time?

Hutchinson...
5 posts
What to know ahead of time?

My wife and I have a VRBO reserved on Brac for late January. This will be our first visit to the Island. Any good to know advice would be appreciated; i.e. Things you can't find on the island but might need. Local taboos or fun things not to miss. How about available travel to and from little Cayman or Cayman brac? Anyone who just experienced their first visit, what would you have liked to know ahead of time?

30 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
4 reviews
21. Re: What to know ahead of time?

DnAMobile,

Which island a person feels is better for diving really depends on a few things. I personally believe Little Cayman is the best diving out of the two (and the best I have experienced in the Caribbean). For me, it is just the shallow wall tops, large sandy areas surrounded by reef, and how peaceful and quiet everything is. The turtles and rays are not spooked easily by divers, and everything is just effortless. There are others for whom 3 dives a day from a 46' boat with 10-12 other divers is not their thing (too crowded?), or who like to shore dive, who will tell you that Brac has an operator (Brac Scuba Shack) that will have smaller groups on their boats and is more accessible for shore diving. Brac also has more people, more to see and do topside, and slightly better flight accessibility. So I can see the argument for either island.

I will just say that the times I went diving on the Brac, the operators would take each group of divers to Little Cayman 1 day out of the week, weather permitting. That day was the most anticipated day of the trip for most divers there and for me it was the best dives of the week. But I could be totally happy diving a week on Brac as well. It is really excellent diving. If you are not a diver and will not be happy just hanging around the pool during the day, Brac is probably a better choice just because there is marginally more to do for non-divers.

Edited: 15 December 2017, 19:04
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
56 reviews
22. Re: What to know ahead of time?

@KathyVIllinois We stayed at Cayman Brac Beach Resort and are divers. Reef Divers is attached to the resort and they were wonderful. All our dives were boat dives, but you can go off on your own to shore dive if you rent a car. Sorry I didn't get back to the forum sooner to answer!

We really loved our time there and just booked yesterday to return this May. :)

Illinois
Level Contributor
1 702 posts
2 reviews
23. Re: What to know ahead of time?

@petstylist101 We've stayed at both the Cayman Brac Beach Resort and the Little Cayman Beach Resort a few times each and we loved them both. I think we like Brac a little better, the resort is nicer and the food is a bit better, there is excellent diving, and the island of Brac is more interesting; but diving the Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight off Little Cayman is spectacular. The 2 resorts are owned by the same family and Reef Divers is the same dive op at both places and they are great. If you are a diver then you can't go wrong at either place IMO.

LCBR is a little more expensive and it books up fast because of the attraction of the BBW, it can also be more difficult to find flights even when the resorts have availability because only small planes like Twin Otters can fly in and only during daylight hours.

And if you ever want to do a lot of wonderful diving around all 3 Cayman islands then take a look at the Cayman Aggressor liveaboard - but be aware that if the weather is bad they won't make the trip from Grand Cayman to the sister islands - and you will be stuck living on a boat offshore from GC in crummy weather! We were lucky when we did our trip on the Aggressor, we had perfect weather and great diving!

Edited: 12 January 2018, 20:52
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
56 reviews
24. Re: What to know ahead of time?

@KathyVIllinois Yeah we actually wanted to do one week at each this time, but LCBR was fully booked. Took extra days at Brac instead and consoled ourselves that at least we'll still have the trip out to BBW at least once! ;)

Cayman Islands
5 posts
1 review
25. Re: What to know ahead of time?

1. Food arrives every week on Thursdays unless the seas are rough.

2. The supermarkets open until 9pm on Saturday nights.

3. The grocery stores are Kirkconnell Ltd, Market Place and Billys. There are a few smaller ones as well. Kirkconnell Ltd closes 7:30 pm during the week. Billy's is probably the biggest supermarket but most of the time, we have to check all three supermarkets to get what we need.

Cayman Islands
5 posts
1 review
26. Re: What to know ahead of time?

"People will serve limited menu lunch and dinner from their front porch. Look for signs by the road. You are typically limited to 2 choices and no choice of sides. Food will be reheated in a microwave, but it's traditional and gives you a chance to meet locals."

I can only think of one place that does this: a restaurant that opens and closes frequently as the owner goes off island a lot. There are other restaurants that have signs by the road but those are the specials for the day and you can still order from the menu. There are plenty sides to choose from as well. There's nothing traditional about reheated food. Locals like fresh food.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3 713 posts
54 reviews
27. Re: What to know ahead of time?

Thanks for your recent info, snow88! Did you enjoy your trip?

We are going 6 weeks from now for a week at the Cayman Brac Dive Resort. I would love to hear any more tips or feedback you have about the island or things you did there. You are welcome to PM me if you would like to do so- I really appreciate it. I am getting excited about the trip for a laid back getaway. My husband is a diver, I am not but do like to snorkel. I feel like we will rent a car for a day and explore but otherwise I may be exploring by bicycle or on foot while he is diving- or are there tours I can book for just myself (in a group or whatever?). Frankly, I will be happy just sunning, swimming, reading and enjoying some peace and quiet "down time"!

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
28. Re: What to know ahead of time?

Dear Alabama:

*We are here now and leaving (sadly!) tomorrow. My personal opinion is that one needs a car.... for example, some caves and snorkeling sites are on the other end of the island. Too far to bike - but maybe that’s just me!

*We went out to eat a few times: Barracuda Bar has Sushi only on Tuesday’s...and it was good! The resort has the outside bar with food - that too is good and the view is spectacular! We did not eat at the more fancy part of the resort. Captains table - I would not recommend for food - but it has a nice bar where people hang and talk. (Mind you - maybe it was just what we ordered - grilled fish). When we return some day - we will cook more ourselves - that seems to be the best bet.

Enjoy

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3 713 posts
54 reviews
29. Re: What to know ahead of time?

So glad to hear you have enjoyed your trip!! We do not usually stay at hotels or resorts, preferring to rent cottages or houses; however, since this trip is all about the diving for hubby, the CBBR seems the best idea since I would be on my own a good bit. I will look into rental cars- who did you rent from? Thanks again! Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Where did you stay, if I may ask? Always bookmarking for future trips!!

Tampa, Florida
1 post
30. Re: What to know ahead of time?

We just got back from Cayman Brac. Our friends and us did multiple trips around Cayman Brac and Little Cayman using Brac Suba Shack. Reasonable prices, great staff, first class equipment, well maintained and late model boats - the whole package. We used them and were very happy.

Reply to: What to know ahead of time?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cayman Brac