We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

excursions and currency

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
excursions and currency

when going on excursions will they accept canadian currency of EUD dollars instead of american currency

10 replies to this topic
Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1 802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: excursions and currency

To pay for things on the island you can use US dollars, EC dollars, or credit cards. You can use ATMs on the island to get any cash you might need in EC (local currency). Canadian money isn't used.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: excursions and currency

I'm from Oakville and we arrive Oct 29. I bring $500 in Eastern European and $100US which I order ahead from the TD. This is for paying when credit cards aren't accepted, like at small local bars or street vendors. Otherwise I use credit cards which are very widely accepted.

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
541 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: excursions and currency

Best to just use us dollars. Readily accepted.

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2 424 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: excursions and currency

Hi,

Can $ are not accepted in shops etc. You can change them in a bank in SL

If you use USD you will pay a commission or bank margin to buy them in Canada and you will get a worse rate when you use them in shops etc in SL

Take Can $ and exchange them to EC$ in a bank SL or do as Rich correctly suggests (although he means Eastern Caribbean not European!) and max the use of your cards if you are happy that your card provider gives you a decent rate and charges.

Non Americans taking taking USD, unless you have leftovers, is very inefficient.

STEVE

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: excursions and currency

Thanks, BigSteve! That Eastern European must have been a mind-slip because we have friends visiting Croatia right now!

The other point too is that in our experience, sometimes using US$ to buy stuff from local market vendors costs a wee bit more than using EC$

Rich

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: excursions and currency

Plus, and this is vital: choose the ATM you use wisely. I've posted this about 50 times over the past few years. The foreign banks with local branches such as RBC, Bank of Nova Scotia, etc., charge a horrific % at the ATM. RBC, for example, charges $4.50EC for every $100EC you take out. I thought it was $4.50 for the entire transaction and was shocked to find $22.50EC taken from my bank account (plus the exchange)!

CIBC seemed OK.

Use the Bank of Saint Lucia which also has ATMs at the Super-J (Massy stores) and airport. No charge, at least over the past few years.

Rich

Edited: 22 October 2017, 14:59
Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2 387 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: excursions and currency

This is really good information! Thank you both so much.. relieved we won't have to buy USD and waste so much on the exchange rate!

Thank you again.. I love TripAdvisor

Boston...
Level Contributor
314 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: excursions and currency

So just to jump in because I was going to try and clarify my currency question today. If I am from the US should I use US Dollars or convert them to ECCbsnd use that? We try and use credit cards the most. Do most places take credit cards? Thanks

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13 366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: excursions and currency

Oceanrose - basically answered in the earlier comments... USD is widely accepted, but it won't go quite as far as if you exchange to XCD. Credit cards are very widely accepted, particularly in tourist areas, attractions, tour operators..

Boston...
Level Contributor
314 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: excursions and currency

thank you , it is clear to me know

Reply to: excursions and currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gros Islet