We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Winds or Cap Maison???

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
East Winds or Cap Maison???

We have finally narrowed our hotel search to East Winds or Cap Maison. Would like to venture off the resort to head into Rodney Bay a few times to check out the restaurants/bars. Cap Maison looks amazing but I know it’s expensive. I found a good deal at East Winds and their beach looks amazing! Any advice is helpful.

Mentioned in this post
East Winds
East Winds
909 Reviews
St. Lucia
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
810 Reviews
St. Lucia
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
987 Reviews
St. Lucia
The Pink Plantation House
RR - RRR, Caribbean, Seafood
Masala Bay
RR - RRR, Indian, Asian, Fusion
Jade Mountain Club
RRRR, Caribbean, Seafood
9 replies to this topic
England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3 622 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Winds or Cap Maison???

I stay regularly at both and will be doung so on my next trip. They are very different but both excellent. It depends on what you are looking for?

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3 622 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Winds or Cap Maison???

If you want to message me happy to compare the two or respond publicly here. I think it really comes down to budget, what you are looking for and whether you want true AI or flexibility. The beaches themselves are almost complete opposites!

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2 452 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Winds or Cap Maison???

Hi,

EW is AI and Cap can be room only(B+B?) or AI so if you stay at EW and go into RB for Dinner etc you will be "double paying" so it does depend on how good your deal at EW is v the cost at Cap. Perhaps factor in USD 600 to cover 2 top end meals (each for 2 persons inc taxi fares) to assist in said comparison.

Also it does to a certain extent depend upon how big drinkers you are because that is where AI really saves you money.

We have stayed at EW twice and are going back in Nov (we do a split stay a week in EW and a 10 days in RB). EW is an older property but with lovely rooms, recently re furbed. The beach is great and quite long. The food and drink is top drawer/top shelf and the staff are fantastic. They do also run some top quality excursions just for East Winds guests.

Cap is a newer property (12 years old?). I know less about it, but it gets good reviews. The beach is a much smaller but very nice cove and a touch more private. There are loads of steps (100?) down from the hotel to the beach. Some of the rooms have their own private pool.

RB is equidistant from EW and Cap so that is not really a factor

It is a great choice to be able to make, good luck

STEVE

Mentioned in this post
East Winds
East Winds
909 Reviews
St. Lucia
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: East Winds or Cap Maison???

We found a deal at East Winds for $2900 @ 5 nights for AI Christmas compared to $2000 at Cap Maison.

Mentioned in this post
East Winds
East Winds
909 Reviews
St. Lucia
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
810 Reviews
St. Lucia
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: East Winds or Cap Maison???

We are looking for a nice beach to hang out and do some snorkeling. I love everything about Cap Maison except their beach seems rather small and very shaded. Only room available is a garden room, not sure how nice it is for the price and I heard it’s very expensive to eat/drink. So if we go off the resort to eat would it cost the same anyways?

Mentioned in this post
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
810 Reviews
St. Lucia
Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1 852 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Winds or Cap Maison???

Cap is 10 years old and they are just celebrating their tenth anniversary with specials, etc. if you shop around you might find some deals. The vibe of the property is basically a setting where there are many units owned by owners that are then rented out. The property itself also owns units that are rented so as to be part of the “hotel.” Th3 restaurant is very good but very high end where the focus is on providing tasting menus. The service is really good but low key. It’s a good property to stay at if your goal is to explore the area in the north, visit other restaurants, etc.

The beach is small but very nice. Not much in the way of snorkeling though. Same with any other property in the north. For snorkeling you’ll want to stay in or visi5 the south—Soufriere area.

You could dine for far less off site but you will have some travel costs. The garden room is very nice.

Or impression was that this hotel was a good place to spend a few nights but I wouldn’t want to spend a week there.

Mentioned in this post
Soufriere
Soufriere
St. Lucia
England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3 622 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Winds or Cap Maison???

So the difference is 900 usd. Cap m includes breakfast usually so this would be your spending money for lunch and dinner. If you are mostly eating off resort and using taxis into Rodney Bay you can manage on that if you are sticking to local and cheaper restaurants. Eating out at the moreinternatuonal restaurants will be more expensive. Evening meal for two including cocktails and a bottle of wine will be around 120-150 so figure 200 a day if eating at those places.

The beach at Cap is lovely but is quite shaded. The resort itself is gorgeous.

East winds has only 30 rooms and AI is very good. Not quitecsuch gourmet food as Cap but top shelf drinks and proper champagne. The beach is deeper so you have sunand shade. Early morning snorkelling is not bad before the wind stirs up the sand. The beach is “long” if you include the walk across rock to the neighbouring Windjammer resort.

Staff at both resorts are excellent and you will be well looked after at either. You have picked two great choices.

Mentioned in this post
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
987 Reviews
St. Lucia
Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2 452 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Winds or Cap Maison???

Hi

East Winds at USD 580 per night at Christmas is very cheap and I would express caution that it is correct. It may be plus tax/service (20%) but even then it is very cheap.

I have looked up Cap and USD 400 is about their norm, there are deals to be had of course.

On the basis of these prices, and your wishes re the beach, I would definitely plump for EW and sort out a couple of visits to RB if you want some variety re food and drink.

STEVE

Mentioned in this post
East Winds
East Winds
909 Reviews
St. Lucia
Camberley, Surrey
Level Contributor
29 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East Winds or Cap Maison???

Word is there are now fewer and fewer good restaurants in Rodney Bay as the key resorts are all-inclusive and guests aren’t venturing out. I’d put East Winds way ahead of Cap Maison and they offer plenty of trips offsite if this is your first visit to the island.

Mentioned in this post
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
987 Reviews
St. Lucia
East Winds
East Winds
909 Reviews
St. Lucia
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
810 Reviews