We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food on the Island...

Level Contributor
94 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Food on the Island...

This is not a question but more a statement or observation. Now I have been here for 11 days. I can honestly advise rather than to use the "tourist" style restaurants. Vastly overated in my opinion. Try the road side vendors and local home cooked dishes. This is authentic St Lucian food, better value, taste and quality.

8 replies to this topic
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
430 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food on the Island...

Agreed. For the most part, there is nothing you can get at the "tourist" restaurants that you can't get at several hundred thousand other restaurants. I once had a very excellent alfredo pasta at La Haut which was just as good as the restaurant here at home I can walk too. But why bother?

Mentioned in this post
La Haut Resort
La Haut Resort
478 Reviews
St. Lucia
CT
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Food on the Island...

Can you recommend any locations around Gros Islet and Castries?

Mentioned in this post
Gros Islet
Gros Islet
St. Lucia
Ellijay, GA
Level Contributor
476 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food on the Island...

Greetings Sharron and Rich, are there any “must try” local dishes or treat that you would recommend?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
430 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food on the Island...

Hi Cabinqueen;

Martha's Table is a must for local food. Everything she cooks is excellent. That doesn't quite answer your question. I love crab backs, pumpkin soup, breadfruit salad, green figs and saltfish (the figs are actually green banana), accras, fried fish cakes and plantain prepared any way at all.

Rich

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food on the Island...

Another recommendation for Martha's Tables! We had lunch here one day, it was awesome! Great local food and generous portions.

We stayed in Soufriere so it was easy to get there though...if in Castries (for resipsa3e) it'll be a bit of a drive (if you have a car)

Mentioned in this post
Martha's Tables
Martha's Tables
444 Reviews
St. Lucia
Soufriere
Soufriere
St. Lucia
England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3 640 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food on the Island...

Hi Sharron, saw you post re Roti and Juice wars! So where would you recommend for a good local meal in the evening? I know of lunchtime places but bot so much knowledge of evening places in and around Rodney Bay for a local meal... thanks :-)

Edited: 04 April 2018, 14:57
Mentioned in this post
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
997 Reviews
St. Lucia
England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3 640 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food on the Island...

You had me at crab backs and pumpkin soup. Yum

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1 885 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food on the Island...

Some of the local dishes we like to enjoy and make wile we are on island include stuffed Christophe, freshly caught and roasted local sardines, jack fish cooked in local coconut oil, octopus cooked the local way (its important to break and tenderize on the rocks after catching them), pork neck stew, roasted local pumpkin cooked with cinnamon and ginger, creole, spicy pork chops, pumpkin soup, salted and dried sardines, creole chicken, roasted breadfoot, sour sap juice, golden apple juice in season or tamararind juice, and local reef fish grilled but first marinated in sour orange, ginger wine, the classic figs and salt fish, anything cooked up in a coal pot one pot stew), gluten free cassava cakes, callaloo, lentils (peas) cooked with lots of turmeric and other local spices, cocoa tea, any kind of homemade roti, etc.

If you are staying or visiting in the more southern parts of the island there are plenty of local places to enjoy local food of somewhat different styles in all of the smaller from Anse la Raye to Canaries to Soufriere to Choiseul and Loborie. Lunch is the best time to find local food.

Mentioned in this post
Anse La Raye
Anse La Raye
94 Reviews
St. Lucia
Soufriere
Soufriere
St. Lucia
Reply to: Food on the Island...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Lucia