We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay and travel times question

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Places to stay and travel times question

My fiancee and I are going to be spending our honeymoon in Dominica for 11 days in July. We're planning on staying in two different hotels on opposite sides of the island. Right now we're looking at Manicou River resort on the Caribbean side and Rosalie Bay or Bana Lama Eco Villa on the Atlantic side.

One of the problems, though, is that a lot (but by no means all or even most) of the places we want to see visit in the southwest and the spots we're looking at seem pretty far from that area, especially considering what we've heard about driving times on Dominica. (We'll be renting a 4x4 for the trip)

What I'd like to know is, what kind of drives would we be expecting, and should we be reconsidering where to stay? Most of the places we looked at in the southwest didn't seem to be the sorts of isolated-in-the-middle-of-nature locations we were looking for.

Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Dominica
Dominica
Caribbean
Manicou River
Manicou River
148 Reviews
Dominica
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Dominica
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay and travel times question

Hi

If you want a great taxi driver call Pierre (67) on cell 315 6702. He lives past Calibishie on the road towards Portsmouth in a lovely, fishing village called Anse Soldat. Nice little beach bar there run by his son Andrew. Worth a visit. He usually drops me off/collects me at the airport if it's an early am or after 5 pm flight in and out. Around £20/EC$80 to Calibishie.

Before 4pm, take a local mini bus to Calibishie Around £5/EC$15.

And if you want to go from Calibishie down to Roseau and back via Rain Forest, call Frampton 317 9981 (cell) He'll pick you up 7am approx, opposite the supermarket in Calibishie . He's FUNNY and trip will take about 1 hour. You'll enjoy the trip! He returns around 3 pm. Or take another mini bus via Portsmouth. Make sure the driver is going on to Calivbishie as some drivers just go to Portsmouth. then you have to get another mini bus to Calibishie. Pierre goes from Calibishie - Roseau, via Portsmouth early most mornings. I'd go with frampton - nicer route. Cost from Calibishie - Roseau is about EC4 15.

In Calibishie head up to Pointe Baptise 915 mins) and down to the small, sandy beach. After 2 pm, no sun as it's on the East coast. Watch out for the rip tide.

And try and call my good friend, Hilroy Cell: 317 1711. A great guy and guide. If you do, please look after him as he's very poor and a single dad.

www.pointebaptiste.com Alan rents out a cottage. Calibishie area

www.hibiscusvalley.com Great place up in the Rain Forest.

http://castlecomfortdivelodge.com/ Nice place 20 mins S. of Roseau

Visit here http://www.boiscotlette.com/

Some more pics / info

www.fitzwinslow1.shutterfly.com

Head to Anse Soldat (20 mins N of Calibishie. Have a drink at Andrew's beach bar. Cool place. Anse Soldat is where I stay - small fishing village.

Head up to Bense and the Chaurie Pools (Google) 40 mins walk from anse Soldat. Take mini bus to Anse Soldat - they are fun, cheap

http://valleyrentacar.com/ Good and rent a small Suzuki 4x4.

Have a great time!

Piers

Mentioned in this post
Calibishie
Calibishie
Dominica
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Dominica
Roseau
Roseau
Dominica
Gasquet
Level Contributor
94 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay and travel times question

My wife and I spent 3 weeks on Dominica several years ago and Loved it. First, I am not sure why you would want to rent a 4X4. We had a compact car and drove around the entire island. All locals just drive regular cars, of course pick ups are seen as well. That being said, the roads, while paved can be very narrow, and STEEP, and hairpin Curves all at the same time. The Caribbean side is more level and flat and an easier drive. We stayed a few days in Rivier Cyrique right near Rosalie Bay. There are several inland or to the beach hikes right in that area. But, to drive from there each day to Roseau for instance, is quite a haul. You might consider staying in 3 locations...we did this and it helped a lot. Enjoy! It is a Beautiful country. also, Bradt travel guide to Dominica by Paul Crask is very informative .

Mentioned in this post
Dominica
Dominica
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Roseau
Roseau
Dominica
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7 775 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay and travel times question

For Boiling Lake, waterfalls, ... you might want to stay 2 or 3 nights at a village inland from Roseau, Wotten Waven, Trafalgar, Laudat.

Mentioned in this post
Boiling Lake
Boiling Lake
334 Reviews
Dominica
Roseau
Roseau
Dominica
SE Pa
Level Contributor
625 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay and travel times question

I stayed at Rosalie Bay in Feb 2014 for 3 nights. Very nice accommodation with a nice beach and beautiful river. You are definitely isolated though there are plenty of sites to see nearby. We spent the balance of the trip in Calibishie. If you want to do a lot of things in SW you should think about staying on that side of the island. The driving isn't too bad, but after a while can be mentally fatiguing. Watch out for the concrete shoulders, they drop off a foot or more- the first day I almost drove right off into one. Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Calibishie
Calibishie
Dominica
5. Re: Places to stay and travel times question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2018, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Dominica