We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska NP question

Michigan
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
Alaska NP question
Save

If we do an independant National Park vacation after an Alaska cruise , which park would you choose? Denali or Glacier Bay? We have taken many NP vacations and love to hike. We don't know if we should do a northbound or southbound cruise and that may determine which park we would do.

fti
Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
18 379 posts
38 reviews
102 helpful votes
1. Re: Alaska NP question
Save

Welcome to TA.

A one-way cruise will start or end in either Seward or Whittier. It is a lot easier and less expensive to get to Denali from there than to Glacier Bay. Also, you can book a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. I am going there independently in July but it requires a flight or boat from Juneau. Though there are some hiking possibilities, with your desire for hiking, Denali is definitely the place to go.

I would take a peek at www.nps.gov/dena. Also pick up a copy of Ike Waits' book Denali Guidebook to Hiking, Photography and Camping in Denali NP. There are very few formal trails inside Denali but some great hiking.

John

South Dakota
Level Contributor
51 907 posts
45 reviews
35 helpful votes
2. Re: Alaska NP question
Save

I agree with John - and not just because I live here. You could also include Wrangell/St. Elias National park if you have the time, and Katmai if you have the time and $$. There are several other NP in Ak, but these are the ones generally seen by most visitors . . . and Denali would offer you the most hiking and better accessibility. Good luck! :)

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6 894 posts
3. Re: Alaska NP question
Save

I third going to Denali. And don't forget Kenai Fjords National Park, especially if your cruise includes Seward. You could take a wildlife boat tour of the fjords, and several nice hikes including Harding Icefield (if the snow ever melts there this year!) Here's more info on that: http://www.naturalbornhikers.com/ExitGlacierHardingIcefield/ExitGlacierHardingIcefield.htm

South Dakota
Level Contributor
51 907 posts
45 reviews
35 helpful votes
4. Re: Alaska NP question
Save

Thanks, Maple!! Monday brain drain - can't believe I forgot that one - it's one of my favorites! :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Alaska NP question
Save

Thanks for the great advice. Because of the information you passed on to us, we are going to book a norhbound cruise and do a Denali NP vacation. We just have to call the cruiseline and figure out how they do the air if we stay after and don't take a land vacation thru them. We looked at lodging in Healy online yesterday and I think that is probably where we will stay. Thanks again.

fti
Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
18 379 posts
38 reviews
102 helpful votes
6. Re: Alaska NP question
Save

Flights are pretty easy - check the "open jaw" section of airline and travel agent websites. You might find it cheaper to fly into Seattle than Vancouver but of course you then have the added hassle and expense of getting from Seattle to Vancouver (not to mention time). Amtrak and a bus go that route, along with a one-way car rental.

John

Michigan
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Alaska NP question
Save

We did it!! We booked the Carnival Spirit for a northbound cruise for July of 2009. Loooong time away, but we are excited. Coalminer, since you live in Healy do you have a reccomendation on where to stay in Healy? We are not fancy people, but would like a basic, clean place to crash after hiking all day. There will be four adults, my husband, myself and our daughter and son-in-law. Maybe even a cabin?

South Dakota
Level Contributor
51 907 posts
45 reviews
35 helpful votes
8. Re: Alaska NP question
Save

Well yes - there are several cabins/B&B's the would work well for you. Denali Suites first comes to mind, as they are apartments, so you could all be together. Oh, the new Denali Primrose would work well, too. Valley Vista B&B, as well as Aspen Haus B&B suites would work as well. There are many other cabins in the area as well - just depends on whether you want separate sleeping area or being all together. A few places will let you book now, but many local places don't begin booking for the new year until January of that year. Hope that helps! :)

fti
Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
18 379 posts
38 reviews
102 helpful votes
9. Re: Alaska NP question
Save

Congratulations!

Be looking in August 2009 for a car rental. Booking early will save you a lot of money. Also be looking for hotel deals in Anchorage if you need something there for a night after the cruise or before you fly out.

And be looking for airfares early - put fare watchers on sites like travelocity.com and farecompare.com. They will EMail you when fares change. Especially be looking for good deals in the fall when the Alaskans get their rebate checks from the state. The fare sales work in both directions.

I found a fare from NY to Anchorage for $400 round trip last year with free stops in Minneapolis in both directions. That was for travel earlier this month.

I also found a 2 bedroom suite at Homewood Suites by Hilton for $72/night - a special deal available for just a few hours last fall but I had my dates already. The deal was good for the entire summer.

I routinely pay about $125/week including all taxes for an economy car pick up and drop off in Anchorage but not at the airport. Figure 20-35% more for airport pickup with the airport surcharges. But pick up in town only works if you pick up Monday am through Saturday noon. Earlier this month I got a deal for $130 all-in for pick up and drop off at the airport for the week, which is very rare. I think it was only because it was off-season.

You will want to book your shuttle bus into Denali by sometime early in 2009. Reservations start on Dec 1 (online) but don't fill up all that quickly.

John

Michigan
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
10. Re: Alaska NP question
Save

Thanks, thanks, and thanks again for all your help. John, I don't know what you mean book the shuttle bus?? Can't we drive the car into the park and then take the shuttle buses along the route from there?

Get answers to your questions about Glacier Bay National...
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.