We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Selinda or Savuti in May?

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
707 posts
15 reviews
36 helpful votes
Selinda or Savuti in May?

Hi everyone,

Please excuse cross-posting here-- I just posted this same question in the Okavango forum as well.....

I know this question was already asked in another thread, but the person was going to be traveling in August (i.e., more elephants at Selinda, etc.). We will be traveling late May/early June.... I realize that these camps are only 20 miles from one another, but from everything I've read I have the impression that Selinda has more water-based activities than Savuti. Is this accurate? We would really like to see hippos, and perhaps Selinda would give us a better chance for that (??) We also like the idea of doing a short walk which I know is an option at Selinda (but perhaps not at Savuti??)

If it helps, we are also planning to stay at LV and then either Chitabe or Mombo. So one thing I've been wondering is whether staying at BOTH Selinda and Savuti, and skipping LV, might be reasonable....would they be too similar though in terms of the region/wildlife viewing? Would we get enough of the Okavango Delta experience at Chitabe/Mombo if we ended up skipping LV? If it helps, we are not interested in mokoro rides, but would be interested in a boat ride at one of the camps. If Selinda can offer all of this, should we go there in addition to Savuti? I am just blown away by the reviews/photos, etc. of both of these places!

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Wayzata, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Botswana, South Africa, Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
3 471 posts
30 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Selinda or Savuti in May?

I was just at Selinda and Savuti last month (May) and I have been to both places before. If you backed me into a corner I would say I prefer Savuti to Selinda but it is a personal preference. We have never received a complaint from anyone EVER at Savuti and the leopard and wild dog sightings have been as reliable as those can be over the past few months. But, there is only one concern with Savuti. If you don’t go to a water camp in the Delta then you will not get a boat ride unless you go to Selinda (or Duma Tau). Savuti has no boats at all. Duma Tau and Savuti both drive on the same land so you could go to Duma Tau instead of Selinda. If you want to take one boat ride and do mostly land based activities then I suggest Duma Tau over the other two. I would not suggest combining Duma Tau/Savuti with Selinda. Too much of the same thing. Also, in my experience, Selinda animal viewing is a bit more affected by the seasons than the Linyanti and you could have a “lighter” animal viewing experience in May/June. The dock station for Selinda is right in front of camp. The dock station for Duma Tau is a short drive away. Last summer (February) Jayme from our office went to Savuti and they did offer her canoeing on the Savuti Channel. She did this with her husband instead of a game drive one day. But, this is not officially listed on their menu of activities.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond

2. Re: Selinda or Savuti in May?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Linyanti Reserve
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.