We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel by train from london to marina di cecina

brighton
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
travel by train from london to marina di cecina

i am going to marina di cecina on 4th october, but i do not fly. what trains do i catch to maina di cecina, i have investigated by can find no railway to there. maybe st pancras to paris then what....overnight to milan, florence,rome,? i dont know and then what? gratefu for answer.

15 replies to this topic
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
33 129 posts
11. Re: travel by train from london to marina di cecina

Thello is jointly owned by Trenitalia, the Italian state train operating organization, and by Veolia Transdev, a large French company. Artesia was jointly controlled by Trenitalia and by SNCF, the French national railway. The trains used by Thello were previously used by Artesia, but have been given something of a revamp.

Palatino was the name of the Paris-Rome night train, which was operated by Artesia in recent years.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9 445 posts
4 reviews
12. Re: travel by train from london to marina di cecina

Thello uses the same rather elderly Italian sleepers and couchettes as Artesia (although nice duvets replace the old blankets) that's not where the difference is.

Thello's staff are all new, the catering is all new, and Thello seems (from my experience last week, at any rate) to be run properly, with on-time departures and arrivals and everything working.

Thello is Trenitalia+Veolia, Artesia was Trenitalia+SNCF. Thello will start a Paris-Florence-Rome train in June, replacing the 'Palatino' - at present there's a 6-month gap without any direct Paris-Florence-Rome train, unfortunately.

Yes, try the coffee shop at the far right-hand end of Milan Centrale's magnificent main hallway (with wonderful huge vaulted ceiling that runs right across the width of the station), that's the right-hand end as you walk off the platforms and off the immediate behind-the-buffer stops area. I was there last week, waiitng for the 11:25 Milan to Basel, en route to Paris and London arriving London that same evening without setting foot in a single airport or on any plane. Great coffee, I just wish they had larger cups!

Edited: 02 February 2012, 12:19
brighton
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
13. Re: travel by train from london to marina di cecina

Just a quickie to Man in Seat 61, yes I was in the coffee shop at the far right end of Milan Centrale (agree its a magnificent station), we were there from 5.30 am in morning having just got off the Paris-Milan overnight train for 3 hours until Milan woke up for the day. A lovely safe haven but just a comment, the staff would not let us buy drinks at the counter, they kept wanting to serve us at the tables, presumably to get a tip......and of course in 3 hours we had to consume a lot of coffee......Macdonalds is across the road from Milan station, the cups are BIG there........!!!!Thanks for info about the trains, very interesting reading.about Thello and Artesia.Can't book yet as you have to book less than four months in advance.....going in October.Trying to get a good deal as it usually costs about £300!I'm obviously not very good at timing the good deals.!!

Cecina, Italy
Level Contributor
48 posts
68 reviews
14. Re: travel by train from london to marina di cecina

just a small detail on the train station in Cecina: you will arrive in the center of Cecina, which is about 2 km from Marina di Cecina. There are buses connecting Cecina with Marina or you can just get a cab at the station. Have fun!

brighton
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
15. Re: travel by train from london to marina di cecina

thank you Zetti for this very useful information. Will probably catch bus as by the time i get there I wont have much money left!!!!!!

Reply to: travel by train from london to marina di cecina
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marina di Cecina