We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Shinkansen to Hachioji

New Delhi, India
4 posts
Which Shinkansen to Hachioji
Save

Hi

I would like to ride the bullet train from Tokyo to Hachioji and then back from Hachioji to Tokyo. Can someone please tell me is there is any straight route using bullet train or do I have to change trains to reach Hachioji.

Thanks

Som

7 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
5 518 posts
1. Re: Which Shinkansen to Hachioji
Save

There is a straight route, but it is not a Shinkansen line.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67 880 posts
64 reviews
142 helpful votes
2. Re: Which Shinkansen to Hachioji
Save

www.hyperdia.com will give you the options.

New Delhi, India
4 posts
3. Re: Which Shinkansen to Hachioji
Save

@ Hiromi,

Thank you so much for the reply. I am aware of the direct line, however is there any other way where I can get to travel the Shinkasen (I'm happy to change trains also). So for example I'm looking for a route which is something like this

Tokyo --- to --- (Some station) ---- to ---- Hachioji

Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
1 274 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Which Shinkansen to Hachioji
Save

If you're happy with just a short ride, you can take Tokaido Shinkansen between Tokyo and Shin-Yokohama then change to Yokohama line bound for Hachioji.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24 039 posts
52 reviews
188 helpful votes
5. Re: Which Shinkansen to Hachioji
Save

Hmm... unfortunately, the Shinkansen from Tokyo/Shinagawa to Shin-Yokohama is quite slow at around 120-160kmph and it's only after Shin-Yokohama that the Shinkansen speeds up to 270-285 kmph

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
72 184 posts
180 reviews
182 helpful votes
6. Re: Which Shinkansen to Hachioji
Save

If you want a short ride just for the experience, take the train to Odawara. Alternatively, invest in the JR Tokyo Wide Pass to visit places covered by the pass.

Macau, China
Level Contributor
10 322 posts
22 reviews
37 helpful votes
7. Re: Which Shinkansen to Hachioji
Save

Do you have any other day trips to the surrounding area? IMHO traveling Tokyo to Hachioji using Shinkansen is just nonsense for me.

Reply to: Which Shinkansen to Hachioji
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hachioji
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.