We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Richards Bay to Komatipoort

NZ
Level Contributor
177 posts
48 reviews
37 helpful votes
Richards Bay to Komatipoort

Planning a trip to SA in early May 2020. Seeking advice on the best driving route from Richards Bay to Kruger Park, maybe entering KNP at Crocodile Bridge. We are looking at routes through Mozambique or Swaziland or what seems to be a long way round staying in SA. Thank you.

1 reply
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
9 897 posts
24 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: Richards Bay to Komatipoort

You won’t likely be able to find a rental car co that allows you to enter Mozambique. It’s usually quickest to go via eSwatini (formerly Swaziland) but check on the construction on the easternmost route - they are rebuilding the MR16 and I have no idea what the current condition is. It’s set to be finished at the end of 2020. If it’s still under reconstruction, do the route through Mbabane.

I hope you don’t just drive through! You’ll be passing some of the most beautiful and fun areas of S Africa. So much to do and see in northern KZN like Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park, Mkuze, the iSimangaliso Wetland Park and St Lucia. It’s my favorite part of S Africa.

Reply to: Richards Bay to Komatipoort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Komatipoort
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.