We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for How to remember your travels?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28 650 posts
6 532 reviews
Tips for How to remember your travels?

How do you remember your travel experiences?

Travel provides us an opportunity to take a break from work and life, have neat experiences and hopefully create lasting memories. These are age old reasons for travel that are often written about and discussed.

However, something that has always been a concern to me is how we approach remembering these travels and experiences. I try to recall travel experiences and other highly impressional things seen or learnt during my travels over the years but in time these become more and more difficult. Further, even some recent travel experiences start to blend together with others, making them more difficult to recall in the future.

As such, I wonder if others have tips they can share for how they remember their travels and travel experiences after they are finished.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4 555 posts
182 reviews
1. Re: Tips for How to remember your travels?

BradJill great thread and fantastic question

Ok let me share as for myself I still just use my memory and like you yes sometimes my travels just blur into each other you can usually hear me saying to Mrs SEBESZ what are you sure that was there and not there and she is usually always right and I will share her technique for pulling out the proof and showing me how right she is.

Now Mrs SEBESZ the amatuer photographer/semi professional oenophile/ Professional Shopper uses what I like to refer to as the shopping memorabilia system

Let me explain after we return home she always carefully packs away restaurant recipes, menus, ticket stubs from various activities and photos oh my lord the photos into a box or bag from a store specific to our holiday

For instance Rome is in a shoebox from Beppino Rampin want to recall Florence look no further than the Ferragamo box, Budapest well its in the bag from the Philanthia Flower Shop, London well it has to be in the picnic hamper from Fortnum & Mason and so on and so on

Which sort of explains why I have only one room and she seems to have all the others now

But in all fairness it is sort of a unique filing system and one that sometimes on a cold winters night when we are dreaming about some place can be fun to pull out and lay across the dining room table and recall and relive some great travel memories.

It also makes me smile when I see a box and have no clue and upon opening it am filled with great and fond memories of our travels.

SEBESZ

Edited: 13 April 2015, 01:43
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1 533 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Tips for How to remember your travels?

My mom keeps adding favorite photos of each trip to her screensaver. I stole the idea from her. It's nice to come back to my desk after lunch or something and hey, look, there's argentina...

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 960 posts
123 reviews
3. Re: Tips for How to remember your travels?

I also keep museum ticket stubs, receipts, train tickets, airline boarding pass stubs, paper napkins with cafe logo on them, the little cardboard things from hotels that held my room keycard. I also keep maps, newspapers, brochures. I have several large clear plastic containers with lids for storing all my paper travel memories.

I am like Mrs Sebesz - I put all things from one trip into a bag (eg. Swiss things in a Migros Grocery plastic bag, Japan things in a bag from a Kyoto Department store, Singapore ones in a nice bag from Tangs Department store on Orchard road, London stuff in a Harrods bag). I thought I was unique in doing that, but it seems like Mrs Sebesz is clever, thrifty and likes to remember her shopping exploits too.

I also keep some of the little soaps from hotel stays, not all of them, just the ones with nice lettering and the hotel logo. Maybe one day I will open the little soap from a lovely little hotel I stayed at in Venice back in 1983.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4 555 posts
182 reviews
4. Re: Tips for How to remember your travels?

@Avanti50

<<<but it seems like Mrs Sebesz is clever, thrifty and likes to remember her shopping exploits too.>>>

WHOA wait a minute thrifty I am not so sure but you forgot the most important part she is a phenomenal judge of men .... LOL :-)

By the way I mentioned your post and she said the same about you coincidentally

SEBESZ

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
21 852 posts
290 reviews
5. Re: Tips for How to remember your travels?

I have a small brown envelope marked Singapore 1971, I have my travel packet, air ticket & luggage tags, JFK to SFO, (a bit scary, nothing issued for S.F. to Oakland via helicopter?) board Oakland to Anchorage to Toyko to Singapore, my Charles Jourdan sales slip is still there, as well as, my other goodies, Anyone remember Robinson's Department Store? I loved the menus & shop book markers. The Complementary sandalwood soap is still in a dresser drawer.

A side note: I missed my connection S.F. to JFK, I ended up staying 3 days in in the area & fell in love with the city by the bay, less than 4 months later moved to S.F.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
21 852 posts
290 reviews
6. Re: Tips for How to remember your travels?

I should mention I've kept separate travel diaries since my first trip (with photos attached), I so enjoy reading where I went, people I've met along the way, what I've eaten, (from my first food adventures in Singapore to my most recent food discoveries in Ireland).

A great way to spend a rainy afternoon

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28 650 posts
6 532 reviews
7. Re: Tips for How to remember your travels?

Jill and I take a lot of pictures, I write quite a bit (if that wasn't obvious), we usually go through our receipts, ticket stubs, maps and travel plans, which are stored in boxes post trip, similar to suggestions mentioned above.

For me, one of main reasons I enjoy writing travel reviews on TripAdvisor is that I'm forced to revisit trip notes and examine photos taken. It really helps cement my recent travel experiences more concretely in the back of my mind. Afterwards, I find it much easier to recall a travel experience, if I have reviewed a place, compared to when I haven't.

I know many people also practice scrapbooking, making use of collected bits, bobs and pictures from their travels, creating a collage of their experiences that they can share and look back upon during future years. This is something that can also work for some to help them remember travel experiences better.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 960 posts
123 reviews
8. Re: Tips for How to remember your travels?

Sebesz, what a lucky wife you have. To have someone as thoughtful, caring and modest as you...😀

Keshgrammy, Robinsons Department store is still there in Singapore. One on Orchard road and another at Raffles City Shopping Centre.

BradJill, We had a question on our forum the other day. Someone who stayed at a lovely little hotel in Singapore a number of years ago and couldn't remember where it was or the name. We tried to assist. I asked them to check back through their travel memorabilia, credit card receipts, Reviews. They hadn't kept anything and didn't write a review. What a shame. For me and it seems all of you, we could easily have found the hotel room card, or photo or review from our stash of travel memories.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4 555 posts
182 reviews
9. Re: Tips for How to remember your travels?

@Avanti50

<<<Sebesz, what a lucky wife you have. To have someone as thoughtful, caring and modest as you...😀>>>

Goodness gracious you are such a fantastic judge of character .. I knew I liked you ... ^.^

SEBESZ

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28 650 posts
6 532 reviews
10. Re: Tips for How to remember your travels?

bump...

Get answers to your questions