We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aerlingus online checkin. Seat reservations.

Salou, Spain
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Aerlingus online checkin. Seat reservations.

I am flying to Ireland in 2 weeks with aerlingus and have been trying to check in for the last week. However the first option that appears is seat selection. I am travelling alone and dont want to pay extra to book a seat but when I click continue it insists I book a seat first: Is it obligatory ? Help I am running out of time!!

101 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
194 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aerlingus online checkin. Seat reservations.

Check in opens 30 hours before your flight time at which point you can choose your seat for free. If you select a seat before this you are charged a small fee to do so and you will still need to check in either online or at the airport once you hit this 30hr window.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20 329 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aerlingus online checkin. Seat reservations.

It shouldn't be obligatory to select a seat and you should be able to check in via MMB although it says that the 30 day advance check in is only available on some routes. If it's not available you can complete web check in up to 30 hours in advance.

aerlingus.com/travelinformation/…

Edited: 31 March 2014, 12:21
Salou, Spain
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aerlingus online checkin. Seat reservations.

Thanks so much that solves my problem. Very much appreciate your help.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28 458 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aerlingus online checkin. Seat reservations.

" If you select a seat before this you are charged a small fee"

What is the price for the fee?

Belfast, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Aerlingus online checkin. Seat reservations.

£5 each way up to £18 each way it's a rip off, for a flight u have already paid for

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20 329 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aerlingus online checkin. Seat reservations.

"£5 each way up to £18 each way it's a rip off" - Firstly an optional fee can never be considered a rip off and there was no need to drag up this near 12 month old post when the OP flew in April 2014.

Belfast, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Aerlingus online checkin. Seat reservations.

I only seen this today. And it's not an optional payment if u want to check in 30 days in advance, so please speak on fact ....

UK
Level Contributor
49 561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aerlingus online checkin. Seat reservations.

I only seen this today. And it's not an optional payment if u want to check in 30 days in advance, so please speak on fact ....

========

Its optional to check in 30 days in advance. So the comment from Tom stands, its not "a rip off" because you have complete option to accept it or not.

As a new poster here, you are probably not aware that the term "rip off" is probably one of the most overused and untrue phrases here, so speaking "in fact" I can say I can't actually recall any post where its been used where there actually was a rip off.

Just like "rude" usually means "wouldn't give me what I demanded even though I wasn't entitled to it" , "rip off" means "a fee I dont have to pay that I think is too high".

As for "I only seen this today" thats irrelevant, you still raked up an ancient post for goodness knows what reason.

Belfast, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Aerlingus online checkin. Seat reservations.

Don't comment on it then, as far as I remember it wasn't u I responded to. Charging someone for a seat when they are travelling solo just for the convenience of checking in 30 days in advance is indeed a rip off. If there was an option for an allocated seat for £0 then it would not be a rip off

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20 329 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aerlingus online checkin. Seat reservations.

If there was an option for an allocated seat for £0 then it would not be a rip off - There is, you can select your seat for free at a later time.

Reply to: Aerlingus online checkin. Seat reservations.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted