We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Economy class UK to USA - BA compared with Aer Lingus

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
150 posts
37 reviews
Economy class UK to USA - BA compared with Aer Lingus

We are travelling from Newcastle upon Tyne to New York in September 2018.

In the past we have traveled from Newcastle via Heathro with BA in Economy class.

This year we are thinking of travelling Economy from Newcastle on Aer Lingus via Dublin to US,.

I would appreciate if anyone could help on the relative merits of each carrier.

Is Aer Lingus “ better/worse/the same” as BA.

Your help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

18 replies to this topic
W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5 918 posts
182 reviews
1. Re: Economy class UK to USA - BA compared with Aer Lingus

A big plus for using Dublin is pre clearance.

Otherwise much the same.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
23 031 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Economy class UK to USA - BA compared with Aer Lingus

In Economy there wont be a significant difference but as has been said the Dublin Pre Clearance is a plus

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16 885 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: Economy class UK to USA - BA compared with Aer Lingus

Well one difference is that standard seat selection is included with EI.

And of course you pre-clear US customs and immigration in Dublin, as noted.

Even if EI's inflight offering wasn't quite on a par with BA (and it is) I would choose them for those reasons.

Edited: 19 February 2018, 13:29
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9 575 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Economy class UK to USA - BA compared with Aer Lingus

Pretty much the same but gigantic +1 for Aerlingus due to pre-clearance. It makes the trip INFINITELY more pleasurable not having to go thru immigration after the trip.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4 472 posts
5. Re: Economy class UK to USA - BA compared with Aer Lingus

Aer Lingus, via Dublin for sure. Per-clearance alone is worth it, https:/…us-preclearance-facility

As for better/worse it's BA that's been making the news with their race to the bottom to compete with Norwegian. All short haul (NCL-LHR) are now buy on board (BoB) just like easyjet / Ryanair , on the long hauls the 2nd meal was replaced with a "mini snack bar" as a cut back, a decision since reversed but as best I read it, on some, it was replaced with a "bigger mini snack" - who knows what you get, or what they will decide it is going to be in Sept. They have also launched a new lo cost airline (Level) but it is not intended to operate that from LHR, only LGW & EU so you shouldn't be at risk of being on one of them.

Aer Lingus also operate A330's which have 8 across with 2-4-2 seating, ideal for a couple as oppose to the 3-3-3 of 787 or 777's out of LHR

UK
Level Contributor
2 994 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Economy class UK to USA - BA compared with Aer Lingus

It recently came up on another question that Aer Lingus charges for alcohol on both short haul and long haul flights. On BA you would get free alcohol on the long haul flights.

If I didn't have status with BA then then I would take the Aer Lingus flight as free seat selection and pre-clearance, personally I think these outweigh the free alcohol but everyone has different priorities.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 982 posts
213 reviews
7. Re: Economy class UK to USA - BA compared with Aer Lingus

1) Pre-Clearance

2) seat selection included

3) avoiding a connection in Heathrow

Lisburn, United...
11 posts
8. Re: Economy class UK to USA - BA compared with Aer Lingus

I have flown a number of times to SFO and L.A. from Dublin with both Aer Lingus and BA.

I prefer Aer Lingus because of the seat configuration and pre-clearance.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
34 347 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Economy class UK to USA - BA compared with Aer Lingus

"As for better/worse it's BA that's been making the news with their race to the bottom to compete with Norwegian. All short haul (NCL-LHR) are now buy on board (BoB) just like easyjet / Ryanair , on the long hauls the 2nd meal was replaced with a "mini snack bar" as a cut back, a decision since reversed but as best I read it, on some, it was replaced with a "bigger mini snack" - who knows what you get, or what they will decide it is going to be in Sept. They have also launched a new lo cost airline (Level) but it is not intended to operate that from LHR, only LGW & EU so you shouldn't be at risk of being on one of them."

====================

1) Be aware that Aer Lingus now has a cheap transatlantic "Saver" fare with no free checked baggage (HBO). It's not just BA that's "cutting" to compete with the reckless Norwegian. Just make sure that if you want to take a free checked bag on EI that you don't pick the "Saver" fare - http://bit.ly/2BAEZq9

2) LEVEL is not flying from/to the UK. That's for mainland Europe to the US and South America, and it's operated by Iberia on a Spanish AOC. BA's response is to densify its leisure 777-200s to 10-across in economy. You won't get those on flights from LHR (yet) but you may if you fly to JFK from Gatwick.

Edited: 19 February 2018, 19:41
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4 472 posts
10. Re: Economy class UK to USA - BA compared with Aer Lingus

>>>LEVEL is not flying from/to the UK. That's for mainland Europe to the US and South America, <<<

Not according to Mr Walsh, when aiming to aquire the slots which are now IAG's. From the BBC, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42142349

"" IAG chief executive Willie Walsh said last month that he was interested in the Gatwick slots as a way to boost its fledgling long-haul budget airline Level, which launched in June.""

Reply to: Economy class UK to USA - BA compared with Aer Lingus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted