We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Connection and Baggage Question! LHR to BKK to HKT

Nice, France
2 posts
1 review
Flight Connection and Baggage Question! LHR to BKK to HKT

Hi there.

I'm flying out to Bangkok from London Heathrow in May on Ethiad.

Once I get to Bangkok (at around 6.20pm), I have another flight to Phuket which was booked separately, on Vietjet Airlines at 8pm.

My question is - Is it possible to arrange at Heathrow, that my checked luggage be routed all the way to Phuket? Is it possible to do that even though there are two airlines involved (Ethiad and Vietjet)?

I don't think I'll have time to go through customs, collect my baggage and then check in for the last leg to Phuket.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited: 10 February 2018, 00:23
14 replies to this topic
Culburra Beach...
Level Contributor
3 515 posts
198 reviews
1. Re: Flight Connection and Baggage Question! LHR to BKK to HKT

No you cannot. You will need to clear immigration and re-check in.

As such, you will not have enough time and you will need to make another flight booking to HKT.

DUS
Level Contributor
806 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Flight Connection and Baggage Question! LHR to BKK to HKT

There are several TA member reviews

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Airline_Review-d…

stating from their experience, their Etihad baggage could NOT be interlined / checked thru with Vietjet, connecting in BKK.

Only 90 min connecting time, plus seperate tickets: Long walk to baggage claim, then immigration, AND re-check your luggage with Vietjet no later than 50 min before departure, is almost impossible to make in just 40 remaining minutes, even IF your inbound Etihad flight would have arrived punctual.

Sorry, but I’m afraid, you have planned too tight, but need to book a later connection to HKT.

Edited: 10 February 2018, 01:36
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37 276 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Flight Connection and Baggage Question! LHR to BKK to HKT

The point is that the ticket you will be checking in on at LHR is only to BKK, so that is where your baggage has to be sent. If both flights were with the same or an "interlined" airline, it Is sometimes possible to take account of the second ticket, but that is not your situation.

Incidentally, "go through customs, collect my baggage and then check in for the last leg to Phuket." is in the wrong order. You first go through IMMIGRATION (passport control), then baggage reclaim, then Customs (which can only be after you have collected ALL your baggage, as that's what they are interested in), after which you exit "airside" for "landside", into the Arrivals Hall. Then you would have to go to Departures to drop off your hold luggage for the second flight, then leave landside for airside again, going through passport control and security.

It seems a bit odd to ask only now about the situation at BKK rather than BEFORE booking flights with only 1h40 between them. When these are on separate tickets, you really need 3 or 4 hours in between flights (up to 1 hr for arrival in case baggage is delayed, then 2-3 hrs before departure as for anyone starting from the city concerned), and that's without even considering the possibility of the first flight being delayed.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1 864 posts
4. Re: Flight Connection and Baggage Question! LHR to BKK to HKT

Vietjet is a low cost airline - can you change to a flight next morning and then overnight near BKK airport ?

Do note that base fares on Vietjet only include 7 kgs hand cabin allowance , if you want hold baggage you must purchase as extra unless you go for their very highest fare level which is quite pricey

They have an 0615 and 0805 in the morning

There is a Bangkok Airways flight at 10 pm and Thai at 10.45 pm ( other flights go from DMK airport but pointless heading over there from BKK )

Etihad could have booked you all the way through BKK onwards to HKT with Bangkok Airways as they offer code share on Bangkok Airways flights.

Etihad also do fly daily non stop between Abu Dhabi and Phuket and there is a good connection to that from LHR , thus no need to change in Bangkok

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
704 posts
5. Re: Flight Connection and Baggage Question! LHR to BKK to HKT

Thai Vietjet Air is the low cost carrier. You need to collect the baggage in Bangkok after the border and customs clearance.

UK
Level Contributor
3 005 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Flight Connection and Baggage Question! LHR to BKK to HKT

On a bad day at Suvarnabhumi (BKK) you will still be in the immigration queue when check-in for your next flight closes. You probably aren’t going to make it on a good day either.

Take a look at this tweet from last year as an example: https:/…895207601444577281

You need to book a later flight to HKT.

UK
Level Contributor
3 005 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Flight Connection and Baggage Question! LHR to BKK to HKT

I forgot to mention in my previous post that on 2 occasions last year we waited over an hour for bags to be delivered.

This will be less of an issue if you have already spent an hour in the immigration queue but you would miss your onward flight either way.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
34 369 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Flight Connection and Baggage Question! LHR to BKK to HKT

VietJet is a Vietnamese LCC airline and doesn’t fly Thai domestic routes. They serve Phuket (HKT) from Ho Chi Minh City (SGN). And from BKK they fly to SGN and Hanoi.

Take a look at your reservations again, messed up as they already are.

And if your separate ticket happens to be BKK-SGN-HKT (who oh why oh why) you’re still in schtuck because immigration lines at BKK are getting very long. From today on the Bangkok forum - https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29391…

Edited: 10 February 2018, 09:28
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
10 271 posts
63 reviews
9. Re: Flight Connection and Baggage Question! LHR to BKK to HKT

USBT, VietJet fly a few Thai domestic routes.

They have a bad reputation if the reviews on www.airlinequality.com are anything to go by.

Culburra Beach...
Level Contributor
3 515 posts
198 reviews
10. Re: Flight Connection and Baggage Question! LHR to BKK to HKT

Vietjet fly Bangkok–Chiang Mai, Bangkok-Phuket, and Phuket-Chiang Rai.

Reply to: Flight Connection and Baggage Question! LHR to BKK to HKT
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted