We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United airlines

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
United airlines

I was planning t travel from Shannon in Ireland to Newark n.j on united airlines. As I am a diabetic who requires to take insulin 4 times a day, I thought it best to check out their policy's on special meals ( I could bring snacks etc, but on a 7hr flight and 5hr time difference I have to plan my meals in advance) I went through the booking process, only to find that on the special meal request. It had a wide variety of meals available for religious and special dietary needs, sadly they do not provide a diabetic meal. Having thought this might be an error on the drop down box, (it had seven other meals)I called united in Ireland. I was told by a man called john, yes you are correct. We do not cater for people with diabetes. I also contacted customer service in head office to ask why the have this policy, which in effect bans diabetics from traveling on their transatlantic flights. Got no reply. Because I stay in weehawken when in the u.s 20 minutes from Newark airport, and united airlines are the only airline who fly there from Shannon.. You can imagine how disappointed I am. JFK is 2hr away. I really thought all this type of discrimination was long gone. A pity

38 replies to this topic
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
2 682 posts
528 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United airlines

Perhaps your persistence will change things, they are not alone in this regard I fact I think you will find few airlines cater to those with diabetes.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 703 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United airlines

It's really an exaggeration to say this bans diabetics from traveling on UA! Perhaps you could bring your own food?

An airline can't possibly provide every type of meal. This really is not "discriminatory."

Edited: 17 October 2017, 16:29
London, United...
Level Contributor
8 961 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United airlines

I have a medical condition which requires me to avoid certain foods and to eat at regular times. If the meals offered don't suit and/or I can't rely on timing I take my own. I certainly wouldn't feel discriminated against and nor would I avoid an airline because they can't cater for every single medical condition.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20 471 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United airlines

which in effect bans diabetics from traveling on their transatlantic flights. - It's up to individuals with dietary needs to make their own arrangements, you cannot reasonable expect airlines to cover all potential requirements.

How would you cope with a 4 or 5 hour flight with the likes of EasyJet or Ryanair which have very limited food options.

I fail to see what a 5 hour time difference makes to the situation - you are not going to need to eat more because of that factor.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8 644 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United airlines

Surely this is not discriminatory? Won't you be able to eat most of a meal apart from a sweet desert? Then you would just take your own desert. I'm guesssing that as you have to eat regularly you'd be taking your own snacks. A friend who is diabetic just picks what he can eat from the standard meal, always presuming that he'll skip the desert.

What would you do on a long train journey where you can't 'book' a meal? Take your own.

Airline food is not much to write home about especially in economy so you won't miss much if you take your own food. Anyway you'll need to take extra food with you just in case of delays, diversions etc. It's always good to be self sufficient if you have a special deity need or medical condition.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4 049 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United airlines

I am not sure why you want the food regardless of any condition that an airline offers in economy. Best to take your own food on board. I am sure that no matter what you bring in the way of food it would certainly be much better and certainly healthier than what the airline would offer you.

I am also a diabetic and I find that I can bring on board food that I enjoy eating and also eat when I choose not at the airline's discretion.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17 403 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United airlines

Yes, as noted, we all have choices. We can choose to fly them or not. Because they have not catered to yours (or others) specific need, does not make this discriminatory. Again, we all have choices.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United airlines

It changes the amount of insulin I can take over s longer day. You obviously don't know much about diabetes. Also they do provide ,7 different types of meals. Are lingus provide diabetic meals do do British airways. And why should I pay extra to eat. It's quite simple to prepare a diabetic meal.it not a bother to any kitchen to leave the sugar out. Why don't you just look at what united offer other people with dietary requirements. Of course we in the republic of Ireland treat all people equally.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
57 560 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United airlines

dermot, make a written and formal complaint to United if you feel strongly enough, but I have to agree, as another diabetic myself, that I don't feel it is discriminatory.

You still have a choice. You can fly with another airline from/to a less convenient airport, or you can take your own food, at what is probably a small percentage of the cost of the flight, and fly United form Shannon to Newark.

Have you sought advice from your GP? I would, if I was concerned about this issue. A medical professional could help put your mind at rest over the difficulties you may face with eating a non diabetic airline meal, you never know.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43 097 posts
1 285 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United airlines

OP, as you State, I do not know what would constitute an acceptable airline meal for you, so cannot even look over the various menus, to give advice in what might, or might not work.

However, as you do know, will none of those options work for you?

What exactly do you need, or cannot tolerate - aside from maybe a sweet Dessert (I seldom eat those anyway, as I prefer a Cheese Course, instead)?

Maybe one of the options, though not specifically stated as being a dietetic meal, might get you closer?

Also noted that UA does not offer a Raw Level 5 Vegan meal either.

Good luck,

Hunt

Reply to: United airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted