We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Oz how do I find the cheapest airport to fly from

Lincs
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to Oz how do I find the cheapest airport to fly from

I had picked flights from Heathrow etc, however someone said it may be cheaper to fly to France or somewhere to fly from as it would be cheaper? Anyone had any experience of this please?

2 adults and children economy to Sydney. Looking to book direct as I don't want any third party issues. This really is a huge trip (kids not flown before but fine with all other travel)

Edited: 20 August 2017, 10:02
22 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
226 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to Oz how do I find the cheapest airport to fly from

Go and look at such as Expedia (and no, I am not suggesting you use them) and put various routings in to see the differences in price. Consider starting your flights in various locations...Dublin, Oslo, Amsterdam etc. Good luck.

Edited: 20 August 2017, 10:08
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 229 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to Oz how do I find the cheapest airport to fly from

what you are describing are commonly referred to as ex-EU fares, it can be worthwhile to start journey outside the UK saving APD as a minimum. Note though you would be travelling from the UK to your starting point on a separate ticket/booking so you need to be aware of the risks of this and factor in these flights, additional time and possible hotel stay(s) etc into the savings calculation

I have done DUB-LAX return in business that was cheaper than LHR-LAX return in economy for my dates

You could use Google Flights, start with your dates for LHR-SYD then have a play with the airports replacing LHR with DUB, AMS, FRA, CDG etc...I tried some random dates in January but LHR was actually cheaper than the ex-EU flights for the dates

London
Level Contributor
635 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to Oz how do I find the cheapest airport to fly from

It depends on the carrier, but typically Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Dublin, Pisa, Venice might be worth checking. With Google flights and Ita Matrix you can search multiple start. Points simultaneously.

With this strategy you need to be fully aware that your travel arrangements to get to the starting point are no concern of the onward carrier to Australia. If your flight or other transport to the starting point is delayed then don't expect any sympathy if you kiss the flight to Oz. Therefore you have to build contingency into your travel arrangements and if your flight leaves in the morning from Europe you probably should consider an overnight hotel near the airport. You obviously need to factor this into the overall cost of the trip, but equally you can have a short trip to your starting point before your onward trip to Australia.

Lincs
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to Oz how do I find the cheapest airport to fly from

I appreciate I will get eye rolls for the naivety of my question, but I figure if I don't ask I will never know. Obviously 3rd party ticket agents show up a lot cheaper than direct, but why is that please?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5 846 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to Oz how do I find the cheapest airport to fly from

Here's a practical example: a year or so ago I priced London to Perth in business. The cheapest was around £2500 on China Southern. But if I started the trip in Paris, it fell to around £1700 on Emirates! Plus then the train fare to Paris and maybe a night in a hotel. But it was still a huge saving.

Pick a big hub that you can get to easily on a low-cost airline, like Amsterdam, Paris, Copenhagen or Dublin. Bear in mind you'll have an unprotected connection, so travelling the day before might be advised, or an early flight for a nighttime departure to Australia.

Third party agents often show up as cheaper because they block-book early, then just change names, or will cobble together an itinerary using multiple airlines. I'd rather have the security of booking with the airline.

Edited: 20 August 2017, 10:24
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7 769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to Oz how do I find the cheapest airport to fly from

We found the tax and Govt charges (is that APD?) cheaper away from the UK, but it can cost more to get to the starting line. It's better to make convenience a main factor ahead of cost.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8 421 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to Oz how do I find the cheapest airport to fly from

You have 3 strategies to find what may be a illusive cheap fare. Also take into the account the stress of travelling a first leg on a separate ticket and the added extra travelling time on an already long trip.

1) Using Europe as a starting point and flying back to LHR then onto SYD. This would be booked as one ticket and connections protected, works well with BA. However you need to get to your starting point on a separate ticket and this connection is not protected, so in reality you may need a night in a hotel. Your return will also end in Europe and then seperate ticket back to UK. This all adds time and cost, when pricing up add in all the extras to get an overall total cost. This strategy works well for business class but it's doubtful if you'll save anything or very little in economy.

2) start your trip at an EU hub and fly from there to SYD. As above you'll need a separate ticket and hotel but should be less travelling time. Again in economy the savings will not be great, business maybe bigger savings.

3) start your trip in UK and connect through an EU hub, you would buy a through ticket and all your connections would be protected. You can look at flying via AMS, CDG, ZRH, HEL etc.

Also take into account time of year, fog is a cause of so many delays in Autumn/winter in Western Europe and snow in Eastern Europe. This is not such of a problem on one ticket but on 2 tickets it could spell disaster. Also if you're looking at peak holiday time I'd not want to risk the seperate ticket scenarios.

You need to understand what you are doing andtravelling with children makes things much more stressful. I'd certainly look for advice before booking anything more complicated than a ticket LHR - SYD. When booking connections or connecting flight may people leave too little time between flights. Booking far in advance there can be schedule changes and this can impact on unprotected 'connections'. It's a bit of a minefield!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54 769 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights to Oz how do I find the cheapest airport to fly from

Third party online booking sites, especially the poorer ones, won't have live pricing so there's more than a fair chance that any cheaper prices you see won't be available.

southern england
Level Contributor
289 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights to Oz how do I find the cheapest airport to fly from

If you don't want to leave from outside the UK , and for economy fares the savings are not so great , try china southern ,Vietnam airlines or Korean air , they provide some really cheap fares in their econ saver range.

I travelled to Aus last year from Oslo in Business class for half the cost of flying from Heathrow with Singapore Airlines , so you could check out their econ fares on this route. Easy to get to Oslo from the UK , just factor in one night stay in Oslo.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
847 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights to Oz how do I find the cheapest airport to fly from

Personally I would rather go for convenience and would always fly from my nearest airport.

Reply to: Flights to Oz how do I find the cheapest airport to fly from
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted