I am really not impressed with the service i received from this resort.I am shocked that tourism grading council gave them 4 stars.First of all the manager is rude and was never there once in the two weeks my team stayed there.She operates from Durban. There is no wifi ,the rooms are small and we were plunged into darkness for almost 3 days first week when they have a generator on site.Excuse after excuse about generator, imaging been served dinner with a candle for 3 nights as u could not get your generator running.I accept there was load shedding and power cuts but then the rooms have no proper ventilation and the showers dont work.I appreciate that the they upgraded me to a better room after i complained as i had no work space.I refused to stay there the following week and my guys went back with the same issues.I asked my company to book me elsewhere. Unfortunately this week another agent from my company tried to book me in the same place not knowing what had happened and the manager refused to take the booking saying i was rude to her staff and wont allow me back and made some real bad allegations that i am wanted no where.I called her a few times she put the phone down in my ear each time, and they simply refused to give me the owners number, to make him aware of what had happened.I want an apology letter from the manager to my company for making false allegations .Is this is the way you treat all your clients.I think the tourism grading council needs to come and reassess their 4 star rating they gave the venue,they will be shocked. Poor service , food average, smelly rooms, no wifi, bad water pressure,no backup power…
We stayed for two nights and we regretted it. No Wifi at all despite we paid for a executive room. The food at the restaurant was totally unacceptable, so was breakfast. Basic beyond. The staff was sleeping behind the counter ! Service was bad. Please do not book this place . Stay away !!! TV not working. Light bulbs not working. We waited for ten minutes at the gate before they opened. Electronic Safe did not work.
Beautiful setting and lovely rooms BUT the mouldy smell was huge and completely overwhelming. Other rooms were the same so we couldn't move. I realise there has been an lot of rain but this was definitely mould and it was very strong and terrible. Other than that it is a lovely place. My husband ate the best T-Bone steak he has ever had. My mussel starter couldn't have been any fresher. Apart from the mold smell I would highly recommend it. Take mosquito spray. We didn't and were sorry about it.
Staying for 5 nights at the lodge, we were very well taken care of. Room Flamingo has nice view on the whole lodge and a bathtub in the bathroom. The food menu was very varied and the cooking was tasty and very good. Breakfast had lots of foods to choose from. Staff was very kind and helpful. Internet connexion not always efficient.
What a great setting the N'taba River Lodge has. Sadly we arrived after a recent flood which knocked out one of the swimming pools. Otherwise the place was back in service. Lodges were nicely decorated although in need of touching up here and there which I am sure they are attending too. Dinner and breakfast was freshly prepared and served by friendly staff. Happy to return should the occasion arise.