The Westin is in a great location with a great trolly that will take you around to different locations but it's a bit dated. We loved our beautiful room that they surprised us with a birthday treat and serenade. The pool was great and it was nice to enjoy drinks while looking at the beautiful views. I will say that the hotel is one of the originals in this area and is in dire need of a refurbishment. Keep that in mind when you're staying here. Sit outside for breakfast if you can.
As a local I was really impressed with how service was being delivered. The staff were remarkable. From security gate all the way to our room. We were very well looked after.
Breakfast wasn’t the usual buffet but continental which turned out great. Got unlimited coffee and pastry which was a bonus! Ordered the salmon and poached eggs which was really tasty. Definitely my ‘go to’ resort for a quick getaway.
Firstly, I must say that we did not really get a chance to see this property in its entirety, due to the Corona Virus issues, but there were some things that I feel I must comment on.
1) We left the hotel for the airport at around 2am and the hallways and the stairwells were literally pitch black. We had to pull our phones out and use the flashlight feature otherwise I have no idea how we would have made it down the stairs without falling
2) We had a small leak in the roof of our room
3) When it rains hard the water will come through the sliding glass door and water will get all over the floor
4) While in route to Fiji the government implemented a mandatory 14 day quarantine for any incoming passengers. We had no idea this had happened until we got to the hotel and we still did not entirely understand. We thought they said we had to stay on property and could use the restaurants and walk around. Apparently we did not understand this and we were then directed to our room and they posted a 24 hour security guard outside our door. Honestly, we did not understand the initial request and would have honored this had we understood initially. Why would we have called down to the front desk and asked if the restaurant was open and why would we have asked the room made where the umbrella was if we understood we were not to leave the room? The 24 guard was completely unnecessary and really made us feel like prisoners. Furthermore, we were charged full price for the rooms and forced to pay full price for room service and yet we had no choice in the matter.
5) When we checked into our room there were food stains on the sheets in plain site. Really! At 11pm we had to wait for housekeeping to come and give us new sheets.
6) Be aware that even though this is an International name on the hotel when you go to check out you will be assessed a 3% service fee for using a credit card. Are you kidding me! A Westin is charging a credit card fee yet they even promote there own credit card branding. I have traveled all over the world and never have I had an International brand charge me a credit card fee at a hotel. I was very shock and disappointed! They say nothing to you when you are booking or checking into hotel, so just be ready for this unpleasant surprise. I really wanted to take this rating down to a 1 because of this.
We spent 1 day prior to going to Castaway Island & returned back here for 2 more nights. This stay was during the Coronavirus Pandemic which meant low occupancy rates. On arrival, check in was quick and we were driven to our room. We had room 2328 which was a large room with a king bed. The rooms have a tendency of being a little dark (see attached photos), but are clean and the beds super comfortable. The grounds are every well maintained & the pools crystal clean. The staff make this hotel special. They are the warmest, friendly people you could hope to meet. On our return to the Westin from Castaway, the noticed a different vibe around the place. Although the smiles were there, you could tell something wasn't right. On our last day in Fiji, the Prime Minister of Fiji announced that Coronavirus had been detected in Fiji and that basically Fiji would commence to close down from midnight that night. That included Fiji Airways, pools, gyms etc their borders were closing to International guests. We could tell in the staff eyes that they were devastated, some were in tears. It was so so sad to see these people who were always smiling and upbeat now contemplating what future employment will be available to support their family's. Amid all this gloom, on checkout the next morning they sent us away with smiles and a big Bula. It brought tears to our eyes.
We would like to make special mention to a few staff who we formed good friendships with:
Olita at Reception. Olita checked us out then on return checked us back in and remembered both our names. Her smile and customer involvement was impressive.
Ema.V who looked after us for afternoon drinks was a wonderful person. Her smile and interaction with the guests made you feel like family. Her cheerful greeting each and every time she saw us and her attention to little details should be commended. It was so sad to see the anxiety of the closure effected Ema.V
To the staff and management of the Westin, our thoughts are with you. Thank you for a wonderful time .
My wife and I visited the Westin Denarau to celebrate a wedding anniversary, but unfortunately left behind a small valuable object in our room. When we realized this, we called from the airport, a person was dispatched to the room, and we were advised that they had the object. Hotel personnel safeguarded it, packed it, called a courier to arrange shipment, arranged papers for it to be sent to us, communicated each step to us, and it arrived safely.
In addition to the above, all the hotel's personnel were exceptionally courteous and helpful throughout our three-night stay. We felt especially well-received as Marriott gold members, but know that all receive exceptional welcomes.
We liked the large, buffet breakfasts and the hotel restaurants.
The hotel itself is attractive with large, well-appointed rooms. Ours was an ocean-front room with a balcony facing the sea. The room was spotless and the air conditioning functioned well on warm days.
Denarau Island, including the hotel, has beautiful tropical foliage, which lends an idyllic charm to the surroundings.